TODAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
Since LSU’s game was moved to 11 a.m., more fans get to watch Maryland on TV as Jordan Steffy leads the Terrapins against Delaware. 3:30 p.m., ESPN, ESPNU
ON WASHINGTONTIMES.COM » AN EXCERPT FROM LOVEY LAND
If you had tickets to the three Nationals-Dodgers home games this week, you might consider yourselves the luckiest Nationals fans on the face of this earth. You got to watch more than 10 percent of the victories in person that the Nationals have had in their new ballpark.
Before the series began Tuesday night, the Nationals were 23-39 at home — by far the worst home record in baseball, which makes sense, since they also had the worst record in baseball, period. The three wins over Los Angeles though is a huge spike in home victories — though they still have the worst home record in baseball. The Dodgers, meanwhile, likely will look upon these three games as the ones that blew their chance to win the NL West.
— Thom Loverro
TWT FIVE » SPORTS SPEECHES
Barack Obama delivered a historic speech on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech. But this is a sports section, so here’s a look at the best sports speeches:
1. Lou Gehrig — “Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth” is one of the most repeated and unforgettable lines ever uttered by an athlete.
2. Jim Valvano — Given at the 1993 ESPY Awards, it’s arguably the most inspirational speech in modern times. “Don’t give up, don’t ever give up,” induces goosebumps every time.
3. Knute Rockne — His “Win One for the Gipper” speech to Notre Dame players at halftime helped rally them to a win over Army at Yankee Stadium.
4. Herb Brooks — The Miracle on Ice was the ideal sports setting for the line, “Great moments are born from great opportunity.” His U.S. players seized that opportunity and beat the Soviet Union.
5. Bob Knight — Doing it in a way only he could, Knight told a crowd in Bloomington, Ind., that he wanted to be buried upside down … as a final jab at his critics.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
The president's men trash the Constitution to pursue antagonists
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Video reviews of today's hottest trends in Minecraft (servers and mods) along with a look at the latest video games with your host MCairsoft14 (alias Jerad Zad).
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention