- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Dan Daly: Belichick makes up his mind
Question of the Day
This just in: Bill Belichick has announced the Patriots’ final cuts … for the 2005 season.
News item: Bengals receiver Chad Johnson legally changes his name to Chad Javon Ocho Cinco.
Comment: I haven’t been this excited since Tony Dorsett changed the pronunciation of his last name from DOR-sett to Dor-SETT.
Johnson is always among the league leaders in melodrama and general brattishness. So it’s only fitting we can now refer to him as “The O.C.”
I’ve gotta admit, Ocho Cinco sounds a lot better than Quatre-Vingt-Cinq.
And really, when you think about it, what’s the difference between Chad Javon Ocho Cinco and the San Francisco 49ers?
Or between Chad Javon Ocho Cinco and Pope Benedict XVI, for that matter?
Elsewhere in the NFL, future Hall of Famer Larry Allen, who spent the last two seasons with the Niners, signed a ceremonial contract in Dallas so he could retire as a Cowboy.
How would you like to be the player who got released to make “room” for Allen on the roster?
About the Author
Dan Daly has been writing about sports for the Washington Times since 1982. He has won numerous national and local awards, appears regularly in NFL Films’ historical features and is the co-author of “The Pro Football Chronicle,” a decade-by-decade history of the game. Follow Dan on Twitter at @dandalyonsports –- or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DALY: Rookies RG3, Alfred Morris hold their own against two Browns greats
- DALY: Players soon may equate Redskins with winning
- DALY: Just the tip of the iceberg for these Redskins
- DALY: Quarterbacks waste no time making impact
- DALY: Striking a balance integral to Redskins’ success
Latest Blog Entries
By Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
- Obama calls GOP lawsuit over executive overreach a 'political stunt'
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Veteran with concealed weapon turns tables on Chicago gunman
- Google Glass-equipped rifles can fire around corners: It's 'mind-blowing when you actually do it'
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs