- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
- North Korea warns South: We’ll attack ‘without warning’
- Congress sends sweeping defense bill to Obama
- Multiple injuries as balcony collapses at London’s Apollo theatre during performance
- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
ZADZOOKS: Interview with Joshua Ortega
Question of the Day
Why pick up the Gears of War comic book series? So you can find out what happened in the six months in between Gears 1 and Gears 2. It’s essentially the prequel to the sequel. Also, you’ll meet the first new Gear ever introduced outside of the games, Jace Stratton, and he makes a very quick cameo in Gears 2. Also, you have some amazing art by Liam Sharp.
Any new projects?I have an upcoming Battlestar Galactica: Cylon War, which is co-written with Eric Nylund (of Halo novels fame) and will tie-in to the last season of “BSG” in January.
What is the current state of the comic book industry? Talentwise, tons of amazing people are working in the industry. There are some cool things being done by the mainstream companies, but I think others are kind of pandering to the existing fan base too much. The indie comic scene is also quite vibrant right now, and they’re often sold more to the literary/bookstore crowd, which I think is great. It gets the medium in front of people who may have never seen it (or ever taken it seriously).
Is Hollywood corrupting or helping the comic book and video game industries? Helping, definitely. Traditionally, sales on high-profile movies based on other media bring sales back to the original property. It’s not always been the case with comics, but that again speaks to the need for comic companies to reach out to a more mainstream audience. There’s no reason that an Iron Man movie shouldn’t lead to some more sales of the Iron Man comic.
Any tips for new writers? Publish work, first and foremost. … It’s always a step, publishers want to see published work. Also, make sure to get out and network, meet people, other artists, etc. Rarely do you get a good gig without knowing someone. And always remember: It only takes 10 years to become an overnight success story.
Favorite image? A beautiful woman. Lots of favorite images, but hey, that’s one I’ll always stand by.
Favorite word? Epic.
Besides this interview, what’s the stupidest thing you ever did? How about looking back while I was racing another kid on a bike, not seeing the pothole in front of me, hitting it with my front tire, flying over the handlebars, using my chin as landing gear, knocking it out of place, and getting a nice-sized piece of gravel bloodily embedded into my chin.
• Visit Zadzooks at the blog section of The Washington Times’ Community pages (www.washingtontimes.com/communities/zadzooks).
About the Author
A graduate of Northwestern University with a degree in communications, Joseph Szadkowski has written about popular culture for The Washington Times for the past 17 years. He covers video games, comic books, new media and technology.
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- Zadzooks: Angry Birds Star Wars review (Wii U)
- Zadzooks: Batman: Arkham Origins review
- Zadzooks: The Wolf Among Us – Faith review
- Zadzooks: Beyond: Two Souls review
Latest Blog Entries
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Deportations under Obama plunged to just 1 percent last year
- Sebelius adds yet another exemption for Obamacare
- PRUDEN: 'Tis the season for apologies
- EDITORIAL: Red faces at the White House
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Paul Rondeau exposes the propaganda, media tricks, and government policies that undermine our families, faith, freedom…and even life itself
Implement these actionable tips, how-to’s and best practices in 10 minutes or less to leverage online communications and technology for brand, business and career development.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow