- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
Dan Daly: No room in AFL for sorry Lions
Question of the Day
Then again, maybe it’s just the first shot across Jose Theodore’s bow.
Speaking of shots across bows, did you read about the pirates in the African seas who hijacked a munitions ship and are holding it for ransom? Intelligence agencies have yet to determine the identities of the assailants, but they did rule out one possibility when the ransom demand was lowered from $35 million to $20 million: None of the pirates is related to Scott Boras.
Number of the Week: 18
That’s how many baseball franchises were bought by their current owners for less than $184 million, which is what Boras is reportedly seeking for Mark Teixeira.
If Peter Angelos meets Teixeira’s price, he’ll be shelling out more for the switch-hitting first baseman than he did for the Orioles in 1993 ($173 million). And at the time, that was the most ever paid for a major league ballclub.
A question that will remain unanswered: How many peanuts would you have to sell - individual peanuts, not bags - to cover the cost of Teixeira’s contract?
Perhaps I should rephrase that. How many QUINTILLION peanuts would you have to sell?
Let me give it one more try: How many elephants would you need to consume the peanuts you’d have to sell to cover the cost of Teixeira’s contract?
About the Author
Dan Daly has been writing about sports for the Washington Times since 1982. He has won numerous national and local awards, appears regularly in NFL Films’ historical features and is the co-author of “The Pro Football Chronicle,” a decade-by-decade history of the game. Follow Dan on Twitter at @dandalyonsports –- or e-mail him at email@example.com.
- DALY: Rookies RG3, Alfred Morris hold their own against two Browns greats
- DALY: Players soon may equate Redskins with winning
- DALY: Just the tip of the iceberg for these Redskins
- DALY: Quarterbacks waste no time making impact
- DALY: Striking a balance integral to Redskins’ success
Latest Blog Entries
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters
- Islamic militants aim to take Baghdad airport
- Colorado man offers Obama a toke of marijuana a Rocky Mountain 'high'
- Court orders Chicago to pay NRA's legal fees
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- Malaysian MP not sorry for tweeting 'long live Hitler' after Germany win
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener