- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
LETTER TO EDITOR: Vegetables, please
Question of the Day
As a dietitian, I applaud Americans who choose whole grains and other plant-based foods over the high-fat, high-cholesterol meat dishes that are fueling our nation's obesity epidemic ("Going with the grain," Plugged in Living, Wednesday). People choose meatless meals for a variety of reasons, but they will all reap the wide-ranging health benefits of a vegetarian diet.
A diet of grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables is low in cholesterol, high in fiber and easily can provide all the protein our bodies need. (The average American consumes about double the recommended amount.) We now know it's not necessary to eat certain plant foods together to obtain the essential amino acids.
There's more good news about a vegetarian diet, too: Studies indicate that people who follow a plant-based diet are slimmer than meat eaters and have a significantly reduced risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers. I'm glad more Americans are opting for meatless meals - this healthy dietary change certainly could help turn around our country's deteriorating health.
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Family removed from Southwest flight over tweet about rude agent, dad says
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- CANNON: With Russia, different airline crash, same results
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq