- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Question of the Day
SUNDAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
Everyone will be transfixed on Redskins at Ravens, but college fans have something else to check out before lavishing in the NFL nightcap. BCS selection show, 8 p.m., Chs. 5, 45
ON WASHINGTONTIMES.COM ” AN EXCERPT FROM D1SCOURSE
PHILADELPHIA - Had a fun drive up from D1scourse’s Glen Burnie, Md., headquarters this morning.
Then I discovered the main exit to the sports complex was blocked off.
Fortunately, it pays off to have a working knowledge of South Philly, and there was even a little time to settle in before Air Force One flew over the stadium. And even if the guy aboard might leave office next month with approval ratings in the single digits, that’s still pretty cool.
TWT FIVE ” TRADITIONAL DUDS
Some sporting events have spectacular tradition but disappoint in the actual result. Here are some of the biggest discrepancies between hype/pomp and genuine entertainment:
1. Army/Navy - The pageantry is always patriotic and worth watching, but one team is always up and the other down (see Saturday’s blowout).
2. Super Bowl - Patriots/Giants helped the image a little, but you can’t say you’ve forgotten when games like 49ers 55, Broncos 10 were the norm.
3. All-Star games that aren’t baseball - With the exception of the Midsummer Classic, the other contests are more about gathering people and honoring players than providing the best “game.”
4. NFL/NBA draft - Fans love feeling optimistic about their teams, and then the feeling sets in that no team won or lost anything while drafting players.
5. World Baseball Classic - OK, maybe the hype has worn off here. Seriously, this is supposed to replace baseball’s participation in the Olympics?
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
President wants everyone but himself to pay more
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq