- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
- Family removed from Southwest flight over tweet about rude agent, dad says
- Michael Bloomberg thumbs FAA ban, plots course to Israel
- California bans full-contact football practices in off-season
- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
Question of the Day
Terrorist helpers sentenced in London
LONDON — A London court yesterday convicted five men of helping the would-be bombers of London’s transit system in 2005 evade arrest, sentencing them to prison terms of seven to 17 years.
A jury at London’s Kingston Crown Court convicted Siraj Ali, 33; Muhedin Ali, 29; Ismail Abdurahman, 25; Wahbi Mohammed, 25; and Abdul Sherif, 30, of a total of 22 charges of failing to disclose information about terrorism and assisting an offender.
Five other men are serving long prison sentences for plotting to blow themselves up on subway trains and a bus on July 21, 2005 — two weeks after suicide bombers killed themselves and 52 commuters in the city.
Bird flu kills again
JAKARTA — An Indonesian woman died of bird flu over the weekend, bringing the country’s death toll from the disease to 103, the Health Ministry said.
The 29-year-old housewife from Tangerang town on the outskirts of Jakarta, died Saturday at a hospital in the city, said Sumardi, a ministry spokesman.
From wire dispatches and staff reports
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq