- The Washington Times - Wednesday, February 6, 2008

IRAQ

House raid turns deadly

BAGHDAD — At least three Iraqis were killed and one child was injured after American soldiers stormed a tiny one-room house north of Baghdad and opened fire, U.S. and Iraqi officials said yesterday.

Iraqi police, relatives and neighbors said a couple and their 19-year-old son were fatally shot in their beds late Monday. The U.S. military said soldiers came under fire and, in self-defense, killed two persons suspected of belonging to a terrorist cell. The military said it did not know who shot the woman or the child.

It was the second time in as many days that the U.S. military acknowledged involvement in the deaths of Iraqi civilians.

PAKISTAN

Bhutto’s will names husband as successor

ISLAMABAD — Benazir Bhutto’s party made public yesterday the will in which she endorsed her husband to succeed her, a move that could polish his leadership credentials ahead of this month’s elections.

In the handwritten, one-page letter dated Oct. 16 — two days before her return to Pakistan from exile and 2½ months before her assassination — Mrs. Bhutto urged supporters to continue her struggle.

Her Dec. 27 slaying prompted a six-week delay for parliamentary elections. The party quickly named her husband, Asif Ali Zardari, as co-chairman and de facto leader, citing Mrs. Bhutto’s last wishes, but released the text of the letter only yesterday.

ISRAEL

Attacks on Gaza target militants

GAZA CITY — Israeli attacks killed eight Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip yesterday, including six who perished in an air strike on a police station.

Hamas retaliated with a rocket barrage on the southern Israeli town of Sderot. The rockets hit a house and seriously wounded one person, police and rescue workers said. Electricity was disabled in part of the town, plunging it into darkness.

Israeli officials said they suspect two suicide bombers involved in Monday’s attack in Dimona, came from the West Bank city of Hebron and not from the Egypt-Gaza border.

IRAN

S. Africa skeptical of new sanctions

NEW YORK — U.N. Security Council member South Africa yesterday expressed reservations about the timing of a draft sanctions resolution against Iran for its nuclear program as well as some of its provisions.

Last month, the five permanent U.N. Security Council members — Britain, the United States, France, Russia and China — along with Germany circulated a proposal for a third sanctions resolution against Iran calling for mandatory travel bans, asset freezes and vigilance on all banks in Iran.

South Africa, a key member of the Non-Aligned Movement, wants to see an International Atomic Energy Agency report on Iran due later this month before voting.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide