- The Washington Times - Thursday, January 10, 2008

SPECIAL PREVIEW:
For the full version of this developing story, read tomorrow’s editions of The Washington Times or check www.washingtontimes.com.
Two orbiting U.S. spacecraft were forced to change course to avoid being damaged by the thousands of pieces of space debris produced after China carried out an anti-satellite weapon test one year ago tomorrow.

The maneuvering, ordered by ground controllers and conducted several months after the test, is an example of lingering problems caused by China’s Jan. 11, 2007, missile firing in a bold demonstration of space weaponry against a weather satellite, said Air Force Brig. Gen. Ted Kresge, director of air, space and information operations at the Air Force Space Command in Colorado.

Gen. Kresge, a F-15 fighter pilot, said the Chinese ASAT weapon test changed the equation for the military, which is working to better understand strategic threats posed by China’s satellite-killing missiles, ground-based lasers, cyberwarfare and other ground station attack capabilities.

The Space Command is conducting a series of reviews to better identify threats and develop defenses for U.S. and allied military and commercial satellites against future attack.

“We have embraced the notion that we now operate in a contested domain,” the one-star general said.

However, other defense officials said the test set off a debate within the Bush administration over how to respond. Officials who seek to minimize China’s arms development within the U.S. intelligence and policy communities are said to be playing down the seriousness of the ASAT weapon test, arguing in interagency meetings that it was a one-time event that poses no strategic threat.

Military officials, including Gen. Kresge and Marine Corps Gen. James E. Cartwright, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, see Chinese anti-satellite weapons as new threats that could cripple the U.S. militarily and economically in a future conflict. They said the U.S. needs to step up spying efforts to learn more about the secret Chinese weapons program and develop defenses against it.

Chinese military writings have revealed that space weapons should be built in secret and used for “shock and awe” attacks against U.S. satellites, said defense analyst Michael Pillsbury who revealed the plans in a report to a congressional commission.

Gen. Cartwright testified before a Senate subcommittee last year that conventionally armed Trident missiles are needed to pre-empt space attacks through strikes on ASAT missile launchers in China.

But, Congress restricted funding for the program in the latest defense spending bill, and Pentagon civilians did not fight to keep the conventional Trident program going.

The White House opposed the curbs on the Trident conversion that are part of what the Pentagon calls “prompt global strike” weapons. The restrictions “limit the ability to field a near-term capability to strike globally, precisely, and rapidly with non-nuclear kinetic effects against high-priority, time-sensitive targets,” the statement said.

By some estimates, China could produce enough space weapons to knock out all low-Earth orbit U.S. satellites by 2010.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide