HE SAID WHAT?
"He was their player. They could have given their own player a sixth year. … They elected to make an offer of $70 million, which wasn't enough to close the deal. — Agent David Falk on why the Clippers couldn't retain forward Elton Brand
FRIDAY'S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
The Nationals take on Roy Oswalt and the Houston Astros at Nationals Park. 7:30 p.m. MASN
THE BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Tony Stewart has won twice in Chicago. So has Kevin Harvick. But never before has the race there been run under the lights.
The best open-wheel drivers head to Nashville, Tenn., Saturday night with 2007 champion Scott Dixon still holding a commanding lead in points.
Diamondbacks at Phillies
Two teams fighting to lead their respective divisions face off at Citizens Bank Park. See Chase Utley one last time before he ruins his swing in the All-Star Home Run Derby.
Tour De France
Riders take on the 139-mile ninth state of the tour Sunday, the longest leg of the grueling contest. The path from Toulouse to Bagneres-de-Bigorre has three mountain passes.
TWT FIVE: MOMENTS IN TIGER STADIUM HISTORY
1. The Tigers wrap up the 1984 World Series in Game 5 against the San Diego Padres as Kirk Gibson hits two home runs, including an eighth-inning shot off future Hall of Famer Goose Gossage.
2. In the 1971 All-Star Game, the American League breaks a nine-game losing streak with a 6-4 win. Reggie Jackson hits a home run off the right-field light tower, an estimated 520 feet.
3. The Tigers stave off elimination in the 1968 World Series, winning Game 5 5-3. They would go on to win the next two games in Detroit and the series.
4. Detroit wins its first World Series, beating the Chicago Cubs in 1935 on an RBI single by Goose Goslin in the bottom of the ninth.
5. On Sept. 27, 1999, Robert Fick — yes, that Robert Fick — hits a grand slam in the eighth inning to vault the Tigers to an 8-2 win over the Kansas City Royals in the last game at the park.
By Jay Sekulow
The left's outrage over the IRS turns to a plea to 'move on'
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
A collection of reader guest articles, thoughts and opinions by Communities writers and breaking news and information.
News and opinion from a Millennial Urbanite with Southern sensibilities,
Politics and pop culture from the perspective of an independent hip-hop conservative
Positive propaganda for a nation in peril.
World's Ugliest Dog Contest
Spelling Bee finale
Marines train Afghan soldiers
Rolling Thunder 2013
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal