- The Washington Times - Monday, July 14, 2008

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) | Pope Benedict XVI has raised expectations he will apologize directly to victims of past clergy sexual abuse while he is in Australia this week for a Roman Catholic gathering of hundreds of thousands of pilgrims.

The leader of the church told reporters during a 20-hour flight to Australia for a nine-day visit starting Sunday that he would do everything possible to achieve “healing and reconciliation with the victims” of maltreatment by priests.

Activists in Australia, who have demanded the pontiff make a formal apology to victims to help cool the scandal that has dogged the church in recent years, cautiously welcomed his comments. Still, they said he should go further and stop the church’s opposition to compensation claims.

Senior clerics organizing the World Youth Day festival in Sydney this week have avoided using the word “apology” to describe remarks Benedict is expected to make about the problem of clergy abuse, but they have made clear there will be some expression of regret.

Benedict touched down Sunday at a military air base on the outskirts of Sydney, where there is a growing buzz about the festival as pilgrims flood into the city for the largest public event since the 2000 Olympic Games.

He was greeted on the tarmac by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and other government and church officials, although Sunday’s arrival was relatively low-key, with crowds kept away from the base.

The pontiff was then whisked by motorcade to a retreat in the city where he will stay out of the public eye until Thursday. Then, he will ride by boat through Sydney harbor to a wharf-side venue and address a large crowd.

Aides say the 81-year-old pontiff is in good health, though his schedule has been arranged to include a few days of rest before attending the World Youth Day events, which start Tuesday. The festival will culminate on July 20 with an open-air papal Mass at a racetrack in Sydney.

During the flight from the Vatican, Benedict told reporters he would work for “healing and reconciliation with the victims” of sexual abuse by Roman Catholic clergy in Australia “just as I did in the United States.”

At the start of a U.S. visit earlier this year, Benedict said he was “deeply ashamed” of the abuse scandal and pledged to work to make sure pedophiles do not become priests. He held a private meeting with a group of abuse victims.

Bernard Barrett, a spokesman for the victims group Broken Rites, said Benedict’s comments did not go far enough.

“He made some general remarks about regret to reporters and that’s not good enough,” he told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio. “We want action, not words.”

Bishop Anthony Fisher, a spokesman for the event in Sydney, said the church in Australia welcomed “the Holy Father’s word of compassion and of leadership for us with respect to the victims of sexual abuse.”

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide