- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
Question of the Day
WEEKEND REWIND: IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Favre, Packers at standstill: You almost could see ESPN’s anchors drooling Friday when it was reported that Brett Favre wanted his release from the Packers so he could come out of retirement. And Saturday, the Packers said they would not release him and that they would go forward with Aaron Rodgers as their quarterback. Oh, if it were only the year 2000 again and Dan Snyder still believed in star power. The Packers would own the Redskins’ next 10 first-round picks or so, and your 2008 Washington Redskins quarterback would be Brett Favre.
NBA Summer League starts in Vegas: It’s probably the most underrated offseason event in sports, the opportunity to watch NBA players at an arm’s length — and in Las Vegas no less. But it’s slightly ironic for a league that has been plagued by gambling scandals (hello, Tim Donaghy) to put an event in Sin City. It would be like teaching a sexual harassment prevention course in the workplace at Camelot.
TWT FIVE: NATIONALS SECOND HALF PREDICTIONS
1. To quote Clubber Lang, “Pain”: As if a season’s worth of injuries in three months weren’t bad enough, this team looks like a lock to reach 100 losses.
2. Your Class AAA Nationals: With any hope for the season long since gone, expect the second half to feature the team’s best prospects, most likely a handful of pitchers like Jordan Zimmermann.
3. Even worse TV ratings: If 9,000 fans are tuning in to see this team at the All-Star break, what can be expected in August and September as they close in on 100 losses?
4. Jim Bowden in legal trouble: According to an ESPN.com report, the general manger is under investigation for his role in a growing scandal involving skimming money slotted for Dominican prospects. The real question — will he be allowed to take his Segway to jail?
5. A silver lining: Attendance shouldn’t suffer much. … After all, a bad team at Nationals Park is better than a bad team at RFK any day of the week.
HE SAID WHAT?
“If I knew the answer, I’d have done this 20 years ago. It’s just going my way right now.” — Golfer Kenny Perry
About the Author
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- UHLER and FERRARA: Obamacare, the end of the progressive era
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Paul Rondeau exposes the propaganda, media tricks, and government policies that undermine our families, faith, freedom…and even life itself
Implement these actionable tips, how-to’s and best practices in 10 minutes or less to leverage online communications and technology for brand, business and career development.
The world impacts us. What happens in our towns, cities, states, country and on this planet makes a difference to us.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow