- The Washington Times - Wednesday, July 23, 2008

FLORIDA

Sheriff’s deputy killed during standoff

FORT WALTON BEACH | A man who fatally shot a sheriff’s deputy Tuesday had been ordered by a court to undergo a mental evaluation and had twice left a hospital before barricading himself in a home and triggering a shootout with police, authorities said.

Deputies later fatally shot the man, police said.

Okaloosa County Deputy Anthony Forgione, 33, was the second Florida lawman in less than a week to be killed in the line of duty. Authorities identified his shooter as Mark Reed Rohlman, 46.

Deputies served the court order to Mr. Rohlman on Monday and took him to a behavior health center for evaluation. He left the hospital and was picked up again by police.

Officials said Mr. Rohlman again walked away from the hospital, and later obtained a shotgun and barricaded himself inside a home.

Members of a crisis negotiation unit went to the house and tried to talk Mr. Rohlman into coming out. Officers entered the home and Mr. Rohlman fired the gun, killing Deputy Forgione, officials said.

TEXAS

Officials: Dolly could break Rio Grande levees

McALLEN | Coastal officials worried Tuesday that Hurricane Dolly may bring so much rain that flooding could break through the levees holding back the Rio Grande.

Officials urged residents to move away from the levees in case Dolly continues to follow the same path as Hurricane Beulah in 1967. “The levees are not going to hold that much water,” said Cameron County Emergency Management Coordinator Johnny Cavazos.

Forecasters said Dolly, a category 1 hurricane, was expected to dump 15 to 20 inches of rain and bring coastal storm surge flooding of 4 to 6 feet above normal high tide levels. It’s expected to make landfall early Wednesday.

Hurricane warnings were in effect from Brownsville north to Corpus Christi.

The governor declared 14 counties disaster areas, allowing state resources to be used to send equipment and emergency workers needed to the areas in the storm’s path.

CALIFORNIA

Domestic terrorist gets 12 years

SANTA ANA | A member of a domestic terrorist group was sentenced to 12 years in prison for planning to attack military facilities in Los Angeles.

Gregory Patterson, 24, received his sentence Monday in U.S. District Court in Santa Ana. He was among three cell members who pleaded guilty to waging war against the United States.

Prosecutors said Patterson was recruited into a jihadist group in 2004 and held up a dozen gas stations to fund the group’s attacks.

Police linked Patterson to the robberies and found jihadist documents in a Los Angeles apartment where cell members lived. The documents included plans to attack the Los Angeles International Airport, the Israeli Consulate and Army recruiting centers.

CONNECTICUT

Man pleads guilty in phishing scam

BRIDGEPORT | One of 38 people charged in a global crime ring that purportedly stole personal information from unsuspecting Internet users pleaded guilty Tuesday to a federal fraud charge.

Ovidiu-Ionut Nicola-Roman of Romania pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit fraud in U.S. District Court in Bridgeport.

Authorities accuse the defendants of stealing names, Social Security numbers, credit card data and other information from Internet users. Federal indictments purport the Romania-based phishing scams sought to rip off thousands of consumers and hundreds of financial institutions.

Prosecutors estimate that Nicola-Roman was responsible for more than $400,000 in thefts. He faces a prison term of 46 months to 57 months and possible fines and restitution payments when he is sentenced Oct. 10.

Nicola-Roman still faces similar federal charges in California, where most of the defendants were indicted.

FLORIDA

Missing tot feared killed

ORLANDO | Prosecutors said Tuesday that the case of a missing 2-year-old is beginning to appear as a homicide, and her mother is a person of interest, though she has not been charged.

Casey Anthony, 22, faces charges connected with lying to investigators, and Circuit Court Judge Stan Strickland set her bond at $500,000 Tuesday, saying the law did not allow him to hold the mother without bail.

He said he set the amount extraordinarily high because he was worried about evidence of human decomposition purportedly found in Miss Anthony’s yard and car. Her daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony, has been missing since mid-June.

Miss Anthony is charged only with child neglect, making false official statements and obstructing a criminal investigation. Authorities said she did not report the girl missing until last week.

HAWAII

No survivors found after B-52 crash

HONOLULU | The Air Force held out hope of finding survivors Tuesday in the crash of a B-52 bomber off Guam, but a brigadier general said there was no evidence any of the airmen were alive.

Two bodies from the six-member crew were found after the crash Monday morning. An earlier Coast Guard report said three bodies were recovered, but spokesman Lt. John Titchen later said that was in error.

No names of the plane’s crew had been released.

The unarmed Air Force bomber was making a swing around the island from Andersen Air Force Base as part of Guam Liberation Day celebrations. The holiday marks the arrival of the U.S. military to retake the island from Japan in World War II.

MICHIGAN

Mayor accused of texting more women

DETROIT | Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick now is charged with exchanging romantic text messages with additional women in the scandal that has him fighting allegations that he lied under oath about an intimate relationship with his former chief of staff.

An investigator’s report states the Wayne County prosecutor’s office determined Mr. Kilpatrick, 38, sent and received text messages with “intimate or romantic content” to several women who were not his wife or former Chief of Staff Christine Beatty.

The report states the office was able to locate and identify the women, but it does not list their names.

The claims led the prosecutor’s office to amend current charges against the mayor. The amended complaint was signed by a district court magistrate and changes a misconduct-in-office charge and a perjury charge.

The misconduct-in-office charge asserts Mr. Kilpatrick authorized the city to prevent the release of text messages containing intimate or romantic messages to women other than his wife or Miss Beatty.

The amended perjury charge accuses Mr. Kilpatrick of lying under oath about romantic or sexual relationships with Miss Beatty “and/or other persons not his wife.”

SOUTH CAROLINA

Mental hospital urged for slayings suspect

COLUMBIA | Prosecutors said Tuesday they want a 78-year-old man committed to a mental hospital after he was found incompetent to stand trial on charges of killing two South Carolina law officers.

The decision by Solicitor Jerry Peace came a day after a circuit judge ruled that Arthur Bixby can’t stand trial because he has dementia.

Instead of pursuing the original death-penalty case, Mr. Peace said he now will ask a probate court judge to have Mr. Bixby committed indefinitely, something the prosecutor said he hopes will bring at least some closure to the families of the two men fatally shot outside the Bixby family home nearly five years ago.

Mr. Peace said Mr. Bixby could be tried later if he was to become competent.

The patriarch of the Bixby family, which relocated to South Carolina from New Hampshire, would have been the final family member to stand trial in the Dec. 8, 2003, deaths of sheriff’s Sgt. Danny Wilson and state Constable Donnie Ouzts.

TEXAS

Grand jury resumes in polygamist case

ELDORADO | A grand jury reconvened Tuesday to consider possible criminal charges against members of a polygamist sect raided in April.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott went to a small community building where the grand jury was meeting in the West Texas town of Eldorado. Women and girls in prairie dresses, including a 16-year-old daughter of jailed sect leader Warren Jeffs, were later escorted into the same building, while lawyers and members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints crowded a bench in front of the courthouse.

The grand jury met for one day in June without issuing indictments in the case.

The grand jury meetings follow a child-custody case in which more than 400 children were swept into foster care from the Yearning For Zion Ranch in April after claims that teenage girls there were being sexually abused.

Weeks later, the Texas Supreme Court directed the judge overseeing the case to return the children to their parents, saying the state had overstepped its authority because it didn’t demonstrate that any more than a handful of teenage girls might have been abused.

FLDS leaders have consistently denied there was any abuse at the ranch and vowed not to sanction underage marriages.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide