- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
2. Rollie Fingers — His 341 saves are the second-most of any pitcher in the Hall, and he pitched in an era when multi-inning saves were the norm. His 28 saves and 1.04 ERA in 1982 earned him Cy Young honors.
3. Bruce Sutter — Recorded 300 saves and averaged nearly 1 innings every time he entered a game. His 1984 campaign (45 saves, 122 IP, 1.54 ERA) remains one of the best seasons ever for a relief pitcher.
4. Goose Gossage — In a career spanning nearly four decades, Goose managed 310 saves and a career ERA of 3.01.
5. Hoyt Wilhelm — Finished 651 games over a 21-year career, ending six seasons with an ERA under 2.00. In 1965, at age 42, the knuckleballer threw 144 innings — all in relief — and allowed just 29 runs. He went on to pitch seven more seasons.
About the Author
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014