HE SAID WHAT?
“There is no dancing, except for celebrating big plays.” — “Dancing With the Stars” champion Jason Taylor after his introduction as the newest Redskins player
TODAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
Stay up late with the Nationals as they take on the Los Angeles Dodgers out west. 10:30 p.m. MASN2
THE BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
New Yorkers booed Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon during the All-Star Game, adding fuel to an already intense rivalry.
Tour de France
The cycling event finishes Sunday with the sprint down the Champs-Elysees. How long before the winner is stripped of his title for doping?
NASCAR Sprint Cup
Tony Stewart has won two of the last three races at the Brickyard in Indianapolis. And he could use a good result to stay among the pack of drivers vying for a spot in the season-ending chase.
Hall of Fame induction ceremonies
They don’t make closers like Goose Gossage anymore. And no one can pull off the Fu Manchu quite as well, either.
TWT FIVE: BEST HALL OF FAME RELIEVERS
1. Dennis Eckersley — He leads all Hall of Famers with 390 saves, a remarkable feat considering he spent 12 years a as a starter before becoming a closer. From 1988 to 1992, he averaged 44 saves a season and an ERA of 2.44.
2. Rollie Fingers — His 341 saves are the second-most of any pitcher in the Hall, and he pitched in an era when multi-inning saves were the norm. His 28 saves and 1.04 ERA in 1982 earned him Cy Young honors.
3. Bruce Sutter — Recorded 300 saves and averaged nearly 1 innings every time he entered a game. His 1984 campaign (45 saves, 122 IP, 1.54 ERA) remains one of the best seasons ever for a relief pitcher.
4. Goose Gossage — In a career spanning nearly four decades, Goose managed 310 saves and a career ERA of 3.01.
5. Hoyt Wilhelm — Finished 651 games over a 21-year career, ending six seasons with an ERA under 2.00. In 1965, at age 42, the knuckleballer threw 144 innings — all in relief — and allowed just 29 runs. He went on to pitch seven more seasons.
'Your papers, please' must never be heard in America
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Eat & drink your way to better health, a better body and a better planet.
Let’s talk about everything, especially the absurdity of it all
Things to do, places to go, new spots to enjoy with friends and family from Norfolk to Washington, D.C., to Delaware and all points inbetween.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall