- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
Caps clean up
“What’s funny is we talked earlier today, and we both agreed that we play the same way,” Boudreau said. “You sit back and go, ‘Maybe I am doing the right things.’”
His two young awards finalists were two of the biggest beneficiaries from the switch. Ovechkin had 51 goals in Boudreau’s 61 games, while Backstrom had 13 of his 14 goals and 60 of his 69 points in that span.
Backstrom, who was named to the league’s All-Rookie Team, began the season on the wing with countryman Michael Nylander’s line, and his assimilation came slowly at first. A switch back to his natural center position and Boudreau’s arrival helped spur the 20-year-old Backstrom to a franchise-best 55 assists for a rookie. Kane’s teammate, Jonathan Toews, was the other finalist.
“I talked to them a little bit,” Backstrom said of Kane and Toews. “They’ve been good for Chicago, and they’re good players. I think they’re good guys too.”
- Ovechkin received 133 of 134 first-place votes for the All-Star team. Henrik Zetterberg garnered the other first-place vote. Ovechkin received 128 of 134 first-place votes for the Hart Trophy. He was second on four ballots, third on one and was not in the top five on one ballot. He also finished ninth in the Lady Byng Trophy voting.
Caps defenseman Mike Green finished seventh in the Norris Trophy and All-Star voting, and goaltender Cristobal Huet was eighth in the Vezina Trophy voting.
About the Author
- The Capitals' Cup full of dreams
- Capitals' Green left off Canada's roster
- Capitals' new addition brings energy
- Capitals trade their captain to Columbus
- Disastrous first period dooms Capitals
Latest Blog Entries
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again