- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
UFC beating down rivals
UFC, however, is not invincible. Several of its top fighters have defected to other MMA leagues after disputes over pay with UFC president Dana White. And some UFC observers said that while White deserves most of the credit for the league’s dominance, his confrontational management style could limit UFC’s growth.
What’s more, some rival MMA groups are getting a big financial boost from billionaire Mark Cuban, the Dallas Mavericks owner and founder of cable network HDNet. The all high-definition network shows fights from six different MMA organizations including DREAM, Strikeforce and Adrenaline.
Asked whether he believed HDNet could offer successful MMA programming without UFC, HDNet Fights CEO Andrew Simon responded, “Yes and we have been.” He argued that the upcoming fights from DREAM and Strikeforce will offer a better card than the latest UFC pay-per-view event.
That’s up for debate, but industry observers said HDNet Fights shows promise because of the strong financial backing and the diverse array of promotions that offer the network protection.
“I like Mark Cuban’s approach,” said Adam Swift, editor of MMApayout.com, a Web site devoted to the business of MMA. “It’s very incremental and ‘Let’s go slow and steady.’”
About the Author
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.