- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Question of the Day
Wizards beat writer Mike Jones breaks down the winners and losers from Thursday night's NBA Draft.
FRIDAY'S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
The Orioles make their debut at Nationals Park as the “Battle of the Beltways” comes to Washington again.
THE BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
Euro 2008 final
-- Spain looks to secure its first Euro title since 1964, while Germany seeks to secure a fourth win and a place as one of the most successful teams in tournament history. Germany's Michael Ballack may be the best European player never to have won a World Cup or Euro title.
D.C. United vs. Los Angeles Galaxy
-- Beckham's back, and this time he's healthy and playing well. United will have its hands full dealing with the most potent attack in MLS.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
-- Kyle Busch got out of his minislump with a win last week on the road course in Sonoma. Will he rack up another victory in New Hampshire? He won there in 2006.
Nationals vs. Orioles
-- Everyone talks about the Nationals' “plan” for rebuilding, but the truth is the Orioles have done a much better job of putting together a respectable young team.
TWT FIVE “ BEST EUROPEAN SOCCER NATIONS
1.Germany/West Germany - The West Germans reached six World Cup finals between 1954 and 1990, winning three times, and took two European titles. A unified Germany snagged a Euro title in 1996.
2. Italy - No European team has won more World Cups than the Italians, who have won four times, the last in 2006. Italy also won the Euro title in 1968.
3. France - Won the World Cup title in Paris in 1998 and might have won again in 2006 if Zendine Zidane had kept his cool. The French also took home Euro titles in 1984 and 2000.
4. Netherlands - Took the Euro title in 1988 and reached the World Cup final in 1974 and 1978.
5. England - Won the World Cup in 1966 as the host nation and has recorded two third-place finishes in the Euro.
About the Author
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world