- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Wine of the week
Question of the Day
Hogue, Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve, Columbia Valley, 2004, $30
If you are planning to serve lamb for Easter or any other springtime feast, this cabernet from Hogue would be an excellent wine to pour with it.
Top-notch cabernet and lamb in almost any form make a delicious pairing. Cab’s dark berry fruit easily holds its own with this fairly forcefully flavored meat, while the secondary nuances that distinguish any good rendition add interest and intrigue.
In some cabernets, particularly wines from Bordeaux and Chile, those nonfruit flavors tend to seem earthy, resembling leather, cedar, dried herbs and more.
In other wines, especially those from California and Australia, they tend to be sweeter, more like vanilla-tinged cocoa and dessert spice.
Cabernets from Washington state’s Columbia Valley tend to strike a balance between these two. Rich and ripe, they’re savory rather than sweet, just right for pairing with lamb.
Hogue’s 2004 reserve cabernet offers vivid currant and blackberry fruit flavors enhanced by notes that echo dark chocolate, coffee and a hint of mint. With a firm tannic backbone, it has the stuffing to age gracefully for five to 10 years, time in which the taste of fruit should fade somewhat as those other flavors come to the fore. Still, the wine is delectable right now, so there is no need to wait.
By Scott Pinsker
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq