- The Washington Times - Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Bush administration’s unwillingness to talk to groups and countries it labels as terrorist left it watching from the sidelines yesterday during two major diplomatic initiatives in the Middle East.

The first was a deal to form a unity government in Lebanon in which more than a third of the ministers will be from Hezbollah and its allies, which are backed by Syria and Iran, giving the opposition a veto over any Cabinet decision.

The second is a secret negotiation between Israel and Syria mediated by Turkey.

In the Arab League-mediated Lebanon agreement, the U.S.-backed ruling coalition of Prime Minister Fuad Siniora was forced to make serious concessions to Hezbollah in a bid to resolve a long political crisis, which culminated earlier this month in the worst fighting in 18 years.

“I know that the wounds are deep and my injury is deep, but we only have each other to build Lebanon,” said Saad Hariri, the pro-U.S. parliament majority leader and son of assassinated former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

Hezbollah’s chief negotiator, Mohammed Raad, said the group did not get everything it had demanded and called the deal “balanced.”

The United States, whose policy is not to talk to terrorists, welcomed the agreement but was not invited to the negotiations in Qatar despite its significant interest in Lebanon.

“We view this agreement as a positive step towards resolving the current crisis,” said Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, though she warned that the crisis is not over.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack acknowledged the U.S. absence from the talks, but he said U.S. interests are being “served by having friends and allies and interested parties in the region advocate for, support and push the spread and deepening of democracy.”

“It is not for us to decide how Lebanon does this, how Lebanon’s political leadership addresses this,” said David C. Welch, assistant secretary of state for Near Eastern affairs.

Mr. McCormack said Washington will not deal with any Hezbollah ministers, and will stick to its policy that also applied to two ministers from the militant Shi’ite group who joined the Cabinet in 2006.

He said Hezbollah’s image suffered from its recent military campaign, which killed 81 people.

“They used their arms to kill their fellow citizens and so this myth that they have tried to perpetuate there, that this is somehow a resistance movement, has really been completely destroyed by their actions,” Mr. McCormack said.

Middle East analysts, however, said the deal reached yesterday shows Hezbollah’s influence, as well as that of Syria and Iran - both of which are on the U.S. blacklist of state sponsors of terrorism.

“It is a setback and a defeat for the Siniora government,” said Paul Salem, director of the Carnegie Middle East Center in Beirut. “The government certainly did not want to give this veto and has resisted for the last 18 months.”

Story Continues →