- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
- North Korea warns South: We’ll attack ‘without warning’
- Congress sends sweeping defense bill to Obama
- Multiple injuries as balcony collapses at London’s Apollo theatre during performance
- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
Question of the Day
On Dec. 7, 1941, at Pearl Harbor, I was a 3rd class fire-control man aboard the USS McCall DD-400. Our destroyer was with the USS Enterprise task force returning to Pearl Harbor.
The ship's loudspeaker blasted a fleet report: "This is not a drill, this is not a drill. Pearl Harbor is under attack, Pearl Harbor is under attack."
Under the command of Adm. Bill "Bull" Halsey Jr., we immediately changed course to locate and engage the attacking forces. The Japanese forces were north to the island of Oahu. The Enterprise took a westerly route, with all aircraft airborne searching a vast ocean.
Daylight turned to dusk and increasing darkness. Many planes remained aloft, making their way back to their aircraft carrier.
At nightfall, in spite of the fleet's "no lights" protocol, Adm. Halsey ordered ship searchlights to illuminate the sky as a marker for the returning aircraft. Standard equipment on all ships are 40-inch searchlights.
The Enterprise did not locate or engage any enemy forces.
CLARENCE L. TIPTON
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Deportations under Obama plunged to just 1 percent last year
- Sebelius adds yet another exemption for Obamacare
- PRUDEN: 'Tis the season for apologies
- EDITORIAL: Red faces at the White House
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Paul Rondeau exposes the propaganda, media tricks, and government policies that undermine our families, faith, freedom…and even life itself
Implement these actionable tips, how-to’s and best practices in 10 minutes or less to leverage online communications and technology for brand, business and career development.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow