- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
Moderation not key for GOP incumbent
Question of the Day
The Oregonian, the state’s largest newspaper, endorsed Mr. Smith, praising his independence and calling him “no slave to the GOP agenda” and noting that “Merkley has thus far showed no inclination to express his independence from the liberal wing of the Democratic Party’s line on anything of importance.”
Mr. Smith supported the Bush tax cuts and a constitutional amendment against same-sex marriage. At the same time, he has worked with Democrats and broken with Republicans on key votes.
Despite his pro-life stance, he supported stem-cell research. He co-sponsored legislation with Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat, to expand hate-crimes protections to gays. He voted against drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. He reversed his earlier support for the Iraq war and has since called for the removal of U.S. troops.
Mr. Smith has also worked closely with Oregon’s senior senator, Democrat Ron Wyden, issuing joint press releases and holding town meetings together. The Republican cited his relationship with Mr. Wyden in early campaign ads, although Mr. Wyden has made it clear that he backs his fellow Democrat.
About the Author
Valerie Richardson covers politics and the West from Denver. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Act would create tax-free savings accounts for the disabled
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- Carson wins straw poll as conservatives focus on winning battle of ideas
- 'Carson for president' troops converge on Western Conservative Summit
- Palin urges Western Conservative Summit grassroots to support impeachment of Obama
Latest Blog Entries
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Gen. James Amos, Marine Corps commandant, slams Obama's handling of Iraq
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- BERMAN & MADYOON: An Iranian-Turkish reset
- MAY: Barbarians at Jordan's gate
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq