- New Mexico decides to use HealthCare.gov for 2015
- Satanists to use Hobby Lobby rule to skirt state abortion laws
- White House: No choice but to act now on climate change
- HHS: ‘Donut hole’ reforms saved Medicare enrollees $11.5 billion since 2010
- Boston-area tornado rips 100 homes: ‘Are we in Kansas?’
- Rush Limbaugh: ‘There is no journalism anymore’
- Scott Brown struggles for political traction in New Hampshire Senate race
- California’s Jerry Brown cites God, ‘religious call’ to embrace illegals
- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
Emanuel accepts post as chief of staff
Question of the Day
He also oversaw key successes in the Clinton administration, including adoption of the North American Free Trade Agreement and an assault-weapons ban.
Like Mr. Obama, Mr. Emanuel is known for raking in huge amounts of campaign cash, a skill that helped keep Bill Clinton’s 1992 campaign during the Gennifer Flowers sex scandal.
Since his election to Congress in 2002, after making millions as a partner in a Chicago investment bank, Mr. Emanuel rose quickly through the ranks.
He set fundraising records as DCCC chairman. This year the DCCC outspent Republicans by pouring tens of millions of dollars into House races and helped Democrats pick up more than 20 seats Tuesday.
Mr. Emanuel then served as chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee during the 2005-2006 election cycle, when the Democrats regained a majority for the first time since 1994.
“He’s a good tactician. He’s a creative thinker,” Democrat Rep. Danny K. Davis of Illinois told the Associated Press after the 2006 elections. “But I think what probably makes him most successful is that he has the will to follow his convictions.”
About the Author
Steven A Miller
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- House calls for immigration enforcement in Central America
- John Boehner blasts Obama's 'lack of leadership' on border
Latest Blog Entries
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq