- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
HE SAID WHAT?
“I don’t know who it was. But it wasn’t a woman, I know that.” - Charlie Manuel on whom he hugged after the Phillies‘ victory Wednesday night
BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
NFL Week 4
The Redskins look to get back on track against the surprising Browns, the Titans look to stay undefeated when they play the Chiefs and the 49ers face the defending-champion Giants.
Capitals vs. Devils
The Caps are the highest-scoring team in the NHL so far, while the Devils rank second to last in scoring. But New Jersey is also tough on defense, so it will be up to Ovechkin and Co. to be aggressive on offense.
Chase for the Cup
Drivers head to Martinsville, where points leader Jimmie Johnson has won three out of the last four races. Greg Biffle and Jeff Burton are still within striking distance.
Texas vs. Missouri
The Longhorns clipped Oklahoma on Saturday, and it’s time for another Big 12 test. A win by the Tigers really would cloud the conference title picture.
TWT FIVE » WINS IN PHILLIES HISTORY
1. The Phillies win Game 5 of the 1980 World Series over the Kansas City Royals, securing the first championship for the franchise.
2. On the last day of the 1950 season, Dick Sisler hits a go-ahead home run in the 10th inning to help secure the National League pennant, the first for the Phillies in 35 years.
3. The Phillies win Game 5 of the 2008 NLCS over Manny Ramirez and the Dodgers to clinch their first National League title in 15 years.
About the Author
Tim Lemke has been the sports business reporter for The Washington Times since 2005, writing on a wide variety of issues ranging from the construction of the Washington Nationals new ballpark to steroid hearings on Capitol Hill. He writes a weekly column titled “SportsBiz” and maintains a blog with the same name. Highlights of his career include playing some very ...
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- PIPES: Islam's inadvertent adverse effects on adherents
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again