- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Old allies help do in Capitals
Question of the Day
“I was pretty nervous before the game thinking about it. Seeing the schedule in the summer, this one has been marked on my calendar for a while,” said Eminger, who played against his former teammates for the first time. “I was pretty happy with how things went.”
Metropolit gave the Flyers the lead in the second period. Right wing Alexander Semin tried to chip the puck to himself along the right boards, but Philadelphia’s Joffrey Lupul stepped in and stole it.
That created a quick odd-man rush, and Lupul fed Metropolit in the middle of the ice for a shot through Caps netminder Brent Johnson’s legs.
Lupul made it 2-0 early in the third period with a power-play marker after a diagonal pass from Eminger.
Nicklas Backstrom notched his first tally of the preseason with 5:41 left in the third. He stopped a clearing attempt along the wall, and his quick shot from just above the goal line surprised goalie Martin Biron.
Washington struggled on the power play, though the Caps were without extra-man stalwarts Alex Ovechkin and Mike Green. The Caps, who entered the game converting extra-man chances at 38.1 percent clip, failed to capitalize on eight power-play chances.
Johnson stopped 22 of 24 shots. He has turned aside 56 of 59 attempts in his three appearances.
About the Author
- The Capitals' Cup full of dreams
- Capitals' Green left off Canada's roster
- Capitals' new addition brings energy
- Capitals trade their captain to Columbus
- Disastrous first period dooms Capitals
Latest Blog Entries
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world