- Tennessee ammunition site explodes, killing 1
- U.N.: Iran cuts stock closest to nuke-arms grade
- Oklahoma gay-marriage case before U.S. appeals court
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
Old allies help do in Capitals
“I was pretty nervous before the game thinking about it. Seeing the schedule in the summer, this one has been marked on my calendar for a while,” said Eminger, who played against his former teammates for the first time. “I was pretty happy with how things went.”
Metropolit gave the Flyers the lead in the second period. Right wing Alexander Semin tried to chip the puck to himself along the right boards, but Philadelphia’s Joffrey Lupul stepped in and stole it.
That created a quick odd-man rush, and Lupul fed Metropolit in the middle of the ice for a shot through Caps netminder Brent Johnson’s legs.
Lupul made it 2-0 early in the third period with a power-play marker after a diagonal pass from Eminger.
Nicklas Backstrom notched his first tally of the preseason with 5:41 left in the third. He stopped a clearing attempt along the wall, and his quick shot from just above the goal line surprised goalie Martin Biron.
Washington struggled on the power play, though the Caps were without extra-man stalwarts Alex Ovechkin and Mike Green. The Caps, who entered the game converting extra-man chances at 38.1 percent clip, failed to capitalize on eight power-play chances.
Johnson stopped 22 of 24 shots. He has turned aside 56 of 59 attempts in his three appearances.
About the Author
- The Capitals' Cup full of dreams
- Capitals' Green left off Canada's roster
- Capitals' new addition brings energy
- Capitals trade their captain to Columbus
- Disastrous first period dooms Capitals
Latest Blog Entries
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.