- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
SIMMONS: Public schools failing
The federal government is always at the ready for a bailout - even if that means increasing federal aid to cover the increasing costs of tuition to cover remedial classes to overcompensate for the fact that our schools failed to prepare our children for college in the first place.
We need “to stand up to the fact that we keep failing our kids,” Miss Rice said. When we fail our kids, our kids fail themselves and our country. When America fails to compete and lead with confidence, we’re fit to be slave to the fearful rhythms of the world rather than its leader of the 21st century.
If that happens, it won’t matter whether John McCain or Barack Obama is occupying the White House.
Deborah Simmons is editorial page editor of The Washington Times. dsimmons@washington times.com.
About the Author
Award-winning opinion writer Deborah Simmons is a senior correspondent who reports on City Hall and writes about education, culture, sports and family-related topics. Mrs. Simmons has worked at several newspapers, and since joining The Washington Times in 1985, has served as editorial-page editor and features editor and on the metro desk. She has taught copy editing at the University of ...
- SIMMONS: In D.C. budget battle, another who's-in-charge decision awaits
- SIMMONS: Food police are leaving your school kids unfed
- SIMMONS: Disinterest among voters hard for Republicans, independents to weather
- SIMMONS: Put adults in hot seat for system's failure, for Relisha's sake
- SIMMONS: City can't bear leaders' silence in missing girl case
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.