- The Washington Times - Sunday, September 21, 2008

2 students accused of plotting attack

CLEVELAND | Police in Cleveland have arrested two teenagers accused of plotting an attack at a high school on the first anniversary of a shooting last year.

Cleveland police spokesman Lt. Thomas Stacho says officers arrested two 16-year-old boys Friday on preliminary charges of inducing panic at St. Martin de Porres Catholic High School.

Mr. Stacho says the boys were overheard talking about launching an attack on Oct. 11, the anniversary of the shooting at SuccessTech Academy. A 14-year-old boy wounded two teachers and two students before killing himself in that attack.

Police say they found two dozen bottles with cloth wicks in one of the boys’ homes that might have been the makings of crude bombs.

Child-porn raid hits Alamo ministry

FOUKE, Ark. | FBI agents and state police raided an evangelists’ headquarters Saturday as part of a child pornography investigation and said they planned to remove several children from the complex, run by a man previously accused of child abuse.

The raid at the Tony Alamo Christian Ministries south of Texarkana started an hour before sunset. Armed guards regularly patrol the ministry headquarters, but there was apparently no resistance as agents moved in. “I have not heard of any shots fired,” state police spokesman Bill Sadler said.

U.S. Attorney Bob Balfe said before the raid that he expected an arrest warrant would be issued later for Mr. Alamo. It wasn’t known whether he was present during the raid.

Shortly after the raid began, a sport utility vehicle hauling a trailer backed up to the building’s front door. A Fouke School District bus also arrived and pulled up near 12 unmarked vans, SUVs and sedans parked alongside the low-slung ministry headquarters along U.S. Highway 71 in tiny Fouke.

Mr. Alamo was once accused in California of directing the beating of a church member’s 11-year-old son. In 1994, he was sentenced to six years in prison on tax evasion charges filed in Memphis, Tenn.

Rally flyby raps Obama on taxes

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. | A pilot flew a lone message of dissent against Sen. Barack Obama’s tax plans as a sea of people turned out here to support the Democratic presidential hopeful at an open-air rally Saturday.

The pilot’s small plane trailed a banner reading: “Raising taxes is not patriotic,” referring to a call Thursday from Obama running mate Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware for richer Americans to pay more in taxes for the national good.

The sign was the only discordant note as the huge crowd gave a rapturous welcome to Mr. Obama in a park in Jacksonville. An official estimate for the turnout was still awaited, but it numbered several thousand, with thousands more still queuing up outside the security checkpoints.

Town prepares for rising Rio Grade

PRESIDIO, Texas | Helicopters were used to drop huge sandbags on a levee and a crew of prison inmates worked to create a makeshift dam Saturday as officials in this rural border city braced for the possibility of more water being released from a Mexican reservoir.

Work also began on an effort to save a weakened levee protecting the city from the Rio Grande. Workers planned to line a section of the levee with heavy plastic anchored by sandbags to keep water from leaking through.

Presidio, about 250 miles southeast of El Paso, has been threatened by flooding for nearly two weeks because of torrential rain in Mexico and the forced release of water from the Luis Leon Reservoir. That water flows into the Rio Conchos, which feeds the Rio Grande.

Officials in Presidio had expected a significant drop in the Rio Grande water level by Saturday evening after Mexican officials said they would reduce the amount of water being released from the reservoir, but that became uncertain as more rain fell in Mexico.

“The good word is the river is down,” Presidio County Attorney Rod Ponton said Saturday. “The bad news is Mexico is taking in more water … and they’ll probably have to start increasing the releases.” Mr. Ponton said lakes and reservoirs in the state of Chihuahua were already at capacity.

Cheney told to keep more records intact

A federal judge Saturday ordered Vice President Dick Cheney to preserve a wide range of the records from his time as vice president.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly is a setback for the Bush administration in its effort to promote a narrow definition of materials that must be safeguarded under by the Presidential Records Act.

The Bush administration’s legal position “heightens the court’s concern” that some records may not be preserved, said the judge.

A private group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, is suing Mr. Cheney and the Executive Office of the President in an effort to ensure that no presidential records are destroyed.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide