- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Fleischmann leads Caps to win
The right wing netted a pair of power-play goals in a 4-1 victory for the Caps in their first exhibition contest of the season against the Carolina Hurricanes at RBC Center on Wednesday night.
“It was just a preseason game, so you can’t take it as seriously, but it feels good after what we accomplished at the start of camp,” Fleischmann said.
Fleischmann batted a loose puck out of midair for his first tally and put in a rebound late in the second period for his second of the night.
Matt Bradley, whom coach Bruce Boudreau named captain for the game, and Mathieu Perreault scored the other goals for Washington, which faces Hurricanes on Thursday night at Verizon Center. Perreault poked in a loose puck after skating around a scrum in front of the net, which was caused when defenseman Milan Jurcina’s shot from the right circle hit the far post and settled behind Carolina goaltender Justin Peters.
“My record [as captain] speaks for itself,” Bradley joked. “The guys were ready to go. I just basically went out there and do what I do - I got the game-winner.”
Goalie Simeon Varlamov, a first-round pick in 2007, turned aside all 20 shots he faced in one period of action. There were some juicy rebounds, but Varlamov also made some impressive recoveries. He stopped five shots in one flurry at the end of the period.
About the Author
- The Capitals' Cup full of dreams
- Capitals' Green left off Canada's roster
- Capitals' new addition brings energy
- Capitals trade their captain to Columbus
- Disastrous first period dooms Capitals
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.