- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
Question of the Day
HE SAID WHAT?
“When tomorrow comes, hopefully the sun comes up. It might not.” — Manager Jerry Manuel after another Mets loss
BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
Most of the spots are locked up (or close to being so), but it’s worth watching for the AL Central duel and the race for the NL wild card. Actually, scratch that last part — the demise of the Mets. Only a bad weekend by the Ned Yost-less Brewers can keep New York from a second straight September collapse. It’s a shame one of these teams has to make the playoffs.
CHASE FOR THE CUP
NASCAR’s Chase continues with the RV 400 at Kansas Speedway. Greg Biffle, who has three top-five finishes at Kansas Speedway, goes for the trifecta. If this were golf’s FedEx Cup, Biffle would eliminate everyone else by just finishing.
NFL WEEK 4
There’s plenty of reason for the local hoopla, with the Redskins visiting the undefeated Cowboys on Sunday. No Jason Taylor but Washington can show it’s for real in the NFC East with a win (or even a close game). Also, the 2-0 Ravens visit the Steelers on Monday night.
JOCKEY CLUB GOLD CUP
OK, for casual sports fans this isn’t a big one — but there’s an intriguing story line in this week’s headliner horse race. Curlin, the 2007 horse of the year, could break Cigar’s North American winnings record ($9,999,815) with a victory in the Jockey Club Gold Cup at Belmont Park. A well-run race also could set Curlin up for a showdown with Big Brown at the Breeders’ Cup.
TWT FIVE: REASONS JIM BOWDEN DESERVES TO STAY
1. The Mets gave general manager Omar Minaya an extension this week — at least the Nationals haven’t collapsed in September.
2. It will keep him off ESPN … forever.
3. Brilliant player extensions — who wouldn’t have given Dmitri Young a ton of cash?
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple
- Sen. Rand Paul pushes 'Economic Freedom Zones' for Detroit
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!