- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
SIMPSON: Sarah Palin has arrived
Question of the Day
Sarah Palin may well be the savior of the Republican Party. Her speech was an indisputable grand slam. For once we have a Republican who actually articulated what the Republican Party stands for — real American values and real Americans. Not the William Ayers radicals, not the alternative newspaper leftists, not the professional fleece artist “community organizers” like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, not the vitriolically anti-American Communist Party USA that the “other” community organizer seems to like so much, not the smug Washington leftist elites or their mindless media water boys. Real Americans who make this country what it is.
She unapologetically championed the basic Republican message: strong defense, limited government, low taxes and integrity. She brilliantly contrasted her experience with Mr. Obama's and slapped down her Democrat detractors in a manner that was gutsy, defiant, and right on target.
Mr. Obama has been pretending to take the high road by criticizing those who manufactured a bald-faced lie about the parentage of Mrs. Palin's newborn child and who have spared no expense to smear her and her pregnant daughter. But I have a question for Mr. Obama. If he really means what he says, then why have the attacks continued? Either he was just posturing (my belief) or his supporters don't even have enough respect for him to stop. Either he is fundamentally insincere or he's not even enough of a leader to reign in his most devoted followers. Either way, that marks him as a loser.
Mrs. Palin wasn't fooled. She knows that all the smears are part and parcel of the Democrats' game plan. So she took off the gloves and positively ridiculed Mr. Obama. She put him where he belongs, and he will have a tough time regaining whatever real dignity he has. I have never seen a Republican so effectively fight back against that pathetic putz and his vicious regime.
A few gems:
“I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer' ... except that you have actual responsibilities.
This is a man [Obama] who can give an entire speech about the wars America is fighting, and never use the word 'victory' except when he's talking about his own campaign. But when the cloud of rhetoric has passed, when the roar of the crowd fades away, when the stadium lights go out, and those Styrofoam Greek columns are hauled back to some studio lot, what exactly is our opponent's plan
And I this one:
“I'm not a member of the permanent political establishment, and I've learned quickly, these past few days, that if you're not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone. But here's a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion — I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country
Finally, we have a Republican with some backbone. And she articulated the reasons to vote for Mr. McCain better than he or his highest paid campaigners have been able to do to date.
The Democrats are shaking in their boots, and with good reason.
I feel optimistic. Thank you, Sarah Palin.
Jim Simpson, a free-lance writer, served as an economist and budget analyst for the White House Office of Management and Budget.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Obama pressed on Sudanese mother's case, facing death sentence over Christian faith
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
- Family removed from Southwest flight over tweet about rude agent, dad says
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq