- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
FRIDAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
Olympic gold medalist Elena Dementieva takes on Jelena Jankovic, and Serena Williams battles Darina Safina for a shot in the U.S. Open final. 12:30 p.m. Chs. 9, 13
BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
Jets at Dolphins
Brett Favre makes his regular-season debut wearing a different shade of green. And he gets a nice welcoming gift in the form of a lowly Miami squad.
On paper, this should be an easy win for the Mountaineers. But ECU, coached by Skip Holtz, is coming off a big upset win over Virginia Tech.
Phillies at Mets
Philadelphia has allowed New York to take control of the National League East, but it could be a whole different story by the end of the weekend. Sunday night’s matchup between Cole Hamels and Johan Santana may be the best pitching duel of the year.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Rock & Roll 400
It’s the last race before the Chase, with several drivers hanging right around the bubble. But the biggest question surrounding this race is whether Tropical Storm Hanna washes out the weekend.
TWT FIVE POSSIBLE JOBS FOR DAUNTE CULPEPPER
1. Player agent - He has done such a phenomenal job representing himself. Surely other players would flock to take advantage of his services.
2. Professional shuffleboard player - Retirement is tough. But if he goes back to his home state of Florida, he will find plenty of the world’s best players to compete with.
3. Mixed martial arts heavyweight - If Brock Lesnar could try out for the Vikings, Culpepper could give it a go in the UFC.
About the Author
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.