- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
FRIDAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
Olympic gold medalist Elena Dementieva takes on Jelena Jankovic, and Serena Williams battles Darina Safina for a shot in the U.S. Open final. 12:30 p.m. Chs. 9, 13
BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
Jets at Dolphins
Brett Favre makes his regular-season debut wearing a different shade of green. And he gets a nice welcoming gift in the form of a lowly Miami squad.
On paper, this should be an easy win for the Mountaineers. But ECU, coached by Skip Holtz, is coming off a big upset win over Virginia Tech.
Phillies at Mets
Philadelphia has allowed New York to take control of the National League East, but it could be a whole different story by the end of the weekend. Sunday night’s matchup between Cole Hamels and Johan Santana may be the best pitching duel of the year.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Rock & Roll 400
It’s the last race before the Chase, with several drivers hanging right around the bubble. But the biggest question surrounding this race is whether Tropical Storm Hanna washes out the weekend.
TWT FIVE POSSIBLE JOBS FOR DAUNTE CULPEPPER
1. Player agent - He has done such a phenomenal job representing himself. Surely other players would flock to take advantage of his services.
2. Professional shuffleboard player - Retirement is tough. But if he goes back to his home state of Florida, he will find plenty of the world’s best players to compete with.
3. Mixed martial arts heavyweight - If Brock Lesnar could try out for the Vikings, Culpepper could give it a go in the UFC.
About the Author
Tim Lemke has been the sports business reporter for The Washington Times since 2005, writing on a wide variety of issues ranging from the construction of the Washington Nationals new ballpark to steroid hearings on Capitol Hill. He writes a weekly column titled “SportsBiz” and maintains a blog with the same name. Highlights of his career include playing some very ...
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again