- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
Question of the Day
FRIDAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
Olympic gold medalist Elena Dementieva takes on Jelena Jankovic, and Serena Williams battles Darina Safina for a shot in the U.S. Open final. 12:30 p.m. Chs. 9, 13
BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
Jets at Dolphins
Brett Favre makes his regular-season debut wearing a different shade of green. And he gets a nice welcoming gift in the form of a lowly Miami squad.
On paper, this should be an easy win for the Mountaineers. But ECU, coached by Skip Holtz, is coming off a big upset win over Virginia Tech.
Phillies at Mets
Philadelphia has allowed New York to take control of the National League East, but it could be a whole different story by the end of the weekend. Sunday night’s matchup between Cole Hamels and Johan Santana may be the best pitching duel of the year.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Rock & Roll 400
It’s the last race before the Chase, with several drivers hanging right around the bubble. But the biggest question surrounding this race is whether Tropical Storm Hanna washes out the weekend.
TWT FIVE POSSIBLE JOBS FOR DAUNTE CULPEPPER
1. Player agent - He has done such a phenomenal job representing himself. Surely other players would flock to take advantage of his services.
2. Professional shuffleboard player - Retirement is tough. But if he goes back to his home state of Florida, he will find plenty of the world’s best players to compete with.
3. Mixed martial arts heavyweight - If Brock Lesnar could try out for the Vikings, Culpepper could give it a go in the UFC.
About the Author
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq