- Iran’s Rouhani: Israel, Islamic State are ‘tumors derived from the same origin’
- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
Dan Daly: Redskins perfect quick thinking
Question of the Day
The Redskins handed in the 13th pick so quickly, it was almost the 12th pick. (Which would have made it the first time in draft history a team had unilaterally moved up.)
Can’t say I blame them. When the top-rated player on the board - Texas pass rusher Brian Orakpo - also happens to fit your needs perfectly, how much deliberation is required?
Ovechkin, Orakpo. This town ain’t big enough for more than one Big O.
Maybe Orakpo can be Double O.
Fearless prediction: Dan Snyder will think long and hard before he ever trades a second-round choice again. The lack of one likely kept him from getting Jay Cutler or Mark Sanchez.
You have to like the symmetry of the Bucs trading up to draft Josh Freeman at 17 - 31 years after they drafted Doug Williams at 17.
And Doug, let’s not forget, proceeded to wear No. 17 in Washington. (He was No. 12 with Tampa.)
There oughta be a law: If the NFL lengthens its season by two games, then it has to shorten the first round of the draft by two hours, just to even things out.
“Never play cards with a man called Doc,” a wise man once said. To which I might add: And never draft a defensive tackle nicknamed Ziggy (Hood, the 295-pound bruiser from Missouri). It just doesn’t fit the position; it’s too light, too breezy. It’s like nicknaming a middle linebacker Cuddles.
About the Author
Dan Daly has been writing about sports for the Washington Times since 1982. He has won numerous national and local awards, appears regularly in NFL Films’ historical features and is the co-author of “The Pro Football Chronicle,” a decade-by-decade history of the game. Follow Dan on Twitter at @dandalyonsports –- or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DALY: Rookies RG3, Alfred Morris hold their own against two Browns greats
- DALY: Players soon may equate Redskins with winning
- DALY: Just the tip of the iceberg for these Redskins
- DALY: Quarterbacks waste no time making impact
- DALY: Striking a balance integral to Redskins’ success
Latest Blog Entries
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world