- The Washington Times - Monday, April 27, 2009

Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell said today it was “a little bit of a shock, definitely” when the team tried to trade up in last weekend’s NFL Draft to select Southern California’s Mark Sanchez as his eventual replacement.

Campbell stayed quiet during the drama, but spoke with reporters before his charity golf tournament at Lowes Island in Sterling, Va., on Monday.

The Redskins are 0-for-2 this offseason in their quarterback pursuits. They failed to land Denver’s Jay Cutler earlier this month when they couldn’t acquire a draft pick from a third team for Campbell.

Campbell declined to say whether he would have asked for a trade had the Redskins drafted Sanchez.

“There were certain things [he and agent Joel Segal] discussed but nothing was written in stone,” Campbell said. “I stayed quiet, sat back and watched and waited to see what would happen.”

After Cutler was traded to Chicago, Campbell met with owner Dan Snyder, front office boss Vinny Cerrato and coach Jim Zorn to clear the air. That meeting would seem to be meaningless now that they again tried to acquire a passer.

“It’s an awkward situation because after the Cutler deal, we did sit down and talk and then the Sanchez talk came up,” Campbell said. “I don’t know how much of it was true. Through the whole thing, I didn’t know what was going on and what wasn’t going on. My mindset was to be prepared for both scenarios.”

Campbell, who plans to participate in minicamp this weekend, said he won’t harbor bad feelings with Snyder and Cerrato.

“I’m not going to hold any grudges,” he said. “That’s not fair to my teammates and not fair to the people who support me. I’m ready to move forward and have one of my best years.”

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide