- The Washington Times - Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Jackson burial set

The doctor who was with Michael Jackson when he died and is now the center of a manslaughter probe posted a short video Tuesday thanking his supporters.

In the minute-long video posted on YouTube, a weary-looking Dr. Conrad Murray thanks friends and patients and refers to his two interviews with Los Angeles police detectives. It was the first time Dr. Murray had spoken publicly since Mr. Jackson died June 25.

“I have done all I could do,” a solemn-sounding Dr. Murray says as he looks into the camera. “I told the truth and I have faith the truth will prevail.”

The video was recorded last week at a private residence in Houston, said Miranda Sevcik, the spokeswoman for Dr. Murray’s lawyer.

After Mr. Jackson died, Dr. Murray received death threats, hired a body guard and was forced into seclusion at his Las Vegas home, Miss Sevcik said. He also has received many calls from patients, former patients and strangers offering him support.

Meanwhile, Jackson family spokesman Ken Sunshine said Mr. Jackson will be buried Aug. 29, the day that would have been the singer’s 51st birthday. The burial will be in Forest Lawn-Glendale’s Holly Terrace, about 8 miles north of downtown Los Angeles.

The cemetery’s Web site describes the mausoleum as featuring replicas of the works of Michelangelo.

Taking a pass on U.S.

Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan said Tuesday he will cut back on visits to the United States, especially with his family, after he was questioned by immigration officials at a New York-area airport.

Mr. Khan was taken aside at Newark’s Liberty International Airport on Friday for what officials said was routine questioning. They denied he was formally detained, saying the incident lasted barely more than an hour and was prolonged only because his bag had been lost by the airline.

The questioning set off outrage in India, where politicians, sports celebrities and film stars regularly receive VIP treatment at airports. Angry fans burned a U.S. flag and protested what they saw as ill treatment of a beloved star, and politicians called for an investigation.

The Muslim actor was in the U.S. promoting his latest film, “My Name is Khan,” about racial profiling after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Mr. Khan told reporters Tuesday after returning to Mumbai that the incident had been “blown out of proportion.” But he said the questioning - which included requests for the names of people who could vouch for him - embarrassed him.

“Of course I will visit the U.S. if I have to go for my work. But I will go less often. If I have three things to do, I will club them together and go just once,” he said. “And certainly, I wouldn’t like to travel with my family to the U.S.”

Mr. Khan, 44, appealed to fans to stop protesting.

“Let’s put this behind us, think positively and move ahead,” he told fans during a news conference.

Paris won’t pay

Paris Hilton’s movie “Pledge This!” was a colossal flop, but a Miami judge says she won’t have to pay investors the more than $8 million they are seeking.

A lawsuit by investors in the film sought that amount, blaming the 2006 movie’s poor showing on Miss Hilton’s failure to promote the film. Miss Hilton claims she did everything she could to plug it.

U.S. District Judge Federico A. Moreno says Miss Hilton could still have to repay some of the $1 million she was paid to make the film. The judge on Tuesday ordered lawyers to file more legal papers in the coming weeks on that issue.

There was no immediate response Tuesday to requests for comment from Miss Hilton’s publicist or attorney, or the attorney for investors.

• Compiled by Dianne Lash from wire reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide