- The Washington Times - Thursday, August 20, 2009

‘Survivor’ re-arrested

The sister of “Survivor” winner Richard Hatch said Wednesday she thinks her brother was sent back to jail over an interview, and a radio station host said Hatch called in to his show twice without the station first getting permission from the federal Bureau of Prisons.

According to Associated Press, Hatch, who had been serving out the remainder of his prison term for tax evasion on home confinement in Newport, R.I., was taken into custody and jailed Tuesday, just hours after interviews aired on NBC’s “Today” and two Rhode Island broadcast outlets, WPRO-AM, and NBC affiliate WJAR-TV. In those interviews, Hatch said the judge in his tax evasion case discriminated against him because he was gay. He also accused the prosecutor of misconduct.

Hatch’s sister told NBC’s “Today” show on Wednesday that when a sheriff’s deputy came to bring her brother to the Barnstable County Jail in Massachusetts on Tuesday, she overheard him say that Hatch was being jailed because “he did an interview.”

The federal Bureau of Prisons would not comment on Hatch’s case, but spokeswoman Traci Billingsley said prisoners on home confinement cannot grant interviews without first getting permission. She said approval typically takes a few days and is sought by and granted to the media outlet, AP said.

WPRO host John DePetro said the radio station didn’t get the permission because Hatch twice called in on his own. Mr. DePetro said Hatch was angry about comments made on the show by former U.S. Attorney Robert Clark Corrente, who oversaw Hatch’s prosecution. Mr. Corrente had called Hatch “delusional.”

“When he heard the Corrente interview, that’s what set him off,” Mr. DePetro said. “He was hot when he called in.”

“Today” host Matt Lauer said on Wednesday’s show that he had permission for his interview. WJAR-TV, the local NBC affiliate, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

In 2006, Hatch was convicted of failing to pay taxes on the $1 million he was awarded for winning the first season of the CBS reality show. He was given extra prison time for lying on the stand.

Whitney to visit O

Multiple Grammy-winner Whitney Houston will chat with Oprah Winfrey on the media mogul’s Sept. 14 show.

The interview follows the Aug. 31 release of the highly touted “I Look to You,” Miss Houston’s first album release in seven years.

Locally, “The Oprah Winfrey Show” is seen weekdays at 4 p.m. on WJLA-ABC7.

NBC adds to lineup

NBC has tapped three budding stars as series regulars, says the Hollywood Reporter.

“Prison Break” alum Amaury Nolasco has joined NBC’s sophomore drama “Southland,” Joy Bryant (“Get Rich or Die Tryin’ “) has come on board new drama “Parenthood,” and Jurnee Smollett (“The Great Debaters,” “Eve’s Bayou”) has been added to “Friday Night Lights.”

On “Southland,” Mr. Nolasco will play the aggressive new partner of Detective Lydia Adams (Regina King), who drives her crazy.

On “Parenthood,” Miss Bryant will play Jasmine, a sexy single mom who moves back to the Bay Area to give her professional dance career a second try and to introduce her 5-year-old son, the product of a fling, to his father.

On “Friday Night Lights,” Miss Smollett will play Jess, the daughter of a onetime NFL hopeful who knows the game and helps raise her siblings with the help of her father.

‘Hotel’ reservation

ABC has picked up the script “Clive Barker’s Hotel” from “Saw” screenwriters Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton, says the Hollywood Reporter.

The network bested Fox and several others eyeing the Warner Bros. TV project.

The script centers on a series of ghoulish incidents at a haunted hotel.

Horrormeister Barker is attached as a producer, and McG’s Wonderland Sound and Vision banner is in talks to produce. Joe Daley is co-producing. McG could come onboard in a directorial capacity if the project moves forward, THR says.

Mr. Dunstan and Mr. Melton were discovered when they won Season 3’s top prize on Bravo’s “Project Greenlight” with their horror script “Feast,” which became a Dimension movie.They went on to write “Saw IV” and “Saw V” and penned the screenplay to this fall’s “Saw VI.”

The pair also worked with “Hellraiser” creator Mr. Barker on a draft of the reboot of “Hellraiser” that’s set for Dimension.

Horror properties have had a mixed record on television, although ABC has fared well with some genre programming, including the hit “Lost,” and it has the anticipated “FlashForward” set for fall.

Wonderland and WBTV have collaborated on another series with genre overtones, the CW hit “Supernatural.”

Gosselin mulls show

Does Jon Gosselin want off “Jon & Kate Plus 8”? He’s in talks to appear in Endemol’s “Divorced Dad’s Club,” which looks at the lives of famous divorced fathers, says TVWeek.com, citing a report from TMZ.com.

According to TMZ, TLC hasn’t been happy with Mr. Gosselin and sent him a letter claiming recent trips to bars put him in violation of his contract’s morals clause.

‘Hoarders’ a hit

A&E socked away a record number of viewers for Monday’s launch of “Hoarders,” Variety reports.

About 1.8 million adults 18 to 49 watched the reality show, tops for any premiere episode of an A&E series. The total number of viewers reached 2.5 million, Variety says.

“Hoarders” airs at 10 p.m. Mondays and examines people who have a difficult time parting with their belongings.

Mr. Eko returning?

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, formerly known as Mr. Eko on ABC’s “Lost,” has a message for its executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse: “Fans of Eko should have hope.”

Although Mr. Akinnuoye-Agbaje was the first castaway to vote himself off the island in season three, the British actor hopes to be one of the dead characters who makes a comeback in the drama’s final season, EWOnline reports.

“I loved playing that character,” he told EW at the premiere of “G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra,” in which he plays the character Heavy Duty. “I loved working with that team, and the reception I got from people was phenomenal. Even at Comic-Con this year, I went to sign my action figure for ‘G.I. Joe’ and people had tons of questions about ‘Lost.’

“I’m here for them,” Mr. Akinnuoye-Agbaje says. “Adewale is open for business.” We have had talks about some things they might do for the final season, and there are other dead folks coming back, allegedly, but at the moment it is still a maybe.”

Compiled by Robyn-Denise Yourse from Web and wire reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide