Sanford refuses deputy’s call to resign

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

A defiant South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford said Wednesday that he will not resign despite a plea to do so earlier in the day by fellow Republican Andre Bauer, the state’s lieutenant governor.

But the Bauer news conference was an opening public salvo in an attempt by state Republicans that may include impeachment as a last resort, The Washington Times has learned.

“I’m not going to be railroaded out of [office],” Mr. Sanford said at a televised news conference at 3:30 p.m. in the West Wing of the Statehouse in Columbia, S.C.

Mr. Sanford, who in June admitted to a yearlong extramarital affair with an Argentine woman, said that regardless of the press’ preoccupation with his infidelity and the use of taxpayer money for some meetings with his mistress, the people of South Carolina have “moved on” and were no longer focused on the personal affairs of the governor.

He implied that the voters had forgiven him enough to let him complete his second elected term, which runs till January 2011.

“We have an incredible record,” he said of his nearly seven years as governor.

But Mr. Bauer, 40, at his noon news conference, said the resignation of Mr. Sanford, 49, would be for the good of the state.

Republicans said Mr. Bauer’s motive was not to force Mr. Sanford out immediately, but to try to get Mr. Sanford to focus less on himself and more on the state party’s concerns for its future.

A pool of Republican lawmakers, many of whom have followed the Sanford line on issues before the legislature, have concluded that he will do more damage to the party the longer he stays in office. At least one of them, Rep. Nathan Ballentine, visited him with that message Tuesday.

The message from Republicans is that unless he leaves voluntarily, they will try to impeach him, a state Republican official told The Times.

State Republican Party Chairman Karen Floyd would not say where she stands personally on the resignation question.

“The state party’s executive committee is on record as censuring him for his unacceptable behavior and now new allegations have come to light,” Mrs. Floyd told The Times, referring to purported misuse of taxpayer money to finance the governor’s meetings with his paramour.

Cindy Costa, a South Carolina Republican National Committee member, said in an interview, “If [Mr. Sanford] has abused taxpayers funds, maybe he does need to step down.”

Mr. Bauer, the lieutenant governor, said he had tried to give Mr. Sanford “the benefit of the doubt” after he admitted to the affair but that the state “has been paralyzed by questions about the legality of Mr. Sanford’s travel,” according to news service accounts.

Mr. Bauer said he worried that calls for Mr. Sanford’s “impeachment will dominate next year’s legislative session instead of issues like the economy and job creation.”

Story Continues →

View Entire Story
About the Author
Ralph Z. Hallow

Ralph Z. Hallow

Chief political writer Ralph Z. Hallow served on the Chicago Tribune, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Washington Times editorial boards, was Ford Foundation Fellow in Urban Journalism at Northwestern University, resident at Columbia University Editorial-Page Editors Seminar and has filed from Berlin, Bonn, London, Paris, Geneva, Vienna, Amman, Beirut, Cairo, Damascus, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Belgrade, Bucharest, Panama and Guatemala.

 

Latest Stories

Latest Blog Entries

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks