- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
BEYOND HOLLYWOOD: ‘Welles’ for a new age
“Perhaps nobody will show up,” she says with a chuckle.
The festival opened Thursday with the latest film from the acclaimed Irish filmmaker Conor McPherson, “The Eclipse,” starring Aidan Quinn and Ciaran Hinds. Tonight’s entry, “Garage,” is an alternately touching and sad (though mostly sad) look at the life of a nice-but-dimwitted garage attendant unable to navigate his way in the world.
Ms. Murray also recommends that people check out one of the three short-film programs. “Irish shorts have done incredibly well in the past five years at the Oscars,” she says. “They showcase a really wide array of shorts, including Irish-language shorts. It’s a quick overview of what Irish cinema looks like.”
• Tickets are $10 apiece (though tickets for the midnight screenings will be available for $5 for people who sign up on the festival mailing list). For a full schedule, including times and locations, go to http://www.irishfilmdc.org.
About the Author
- BEYOND HOLLYWOOD: Poking fun at blaxploitation
- MOVIES/BUNCH: A year of hits... and misses (mostly hits)
- 'Avatar' rising
- Blu-ray for everyone
- MOVIE REVIEW: 'Avatar'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.