- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
GREENSTEIN: More stimulus requires fiscal relief
Question of the Day
We estimate that unless Congress gives states some additional fiscal relief, state budget cuts and tax increases could cost the economy 900,000 jobs next year, raising chances that the economy will slip back into recession.
Congress must act soon. Although states’ next budgets won’t take effect until July 1, policymakers are beginning to make decisions about those budgets. Governors are preparing their budget proposals now, and legislatures will act on them this winter and spring.
Congress is right to further extend unemployment benefits and added health insurance for jobless workers. The president is right to suggest further job-creating measures. Now, policymakers should take what could be one of the most effective steps to preserve or create jobs — providing further fiscal relief to avert massive state fiscal retrenchment that would materially weaken the economy.
• Robert Greenstein is executive director of the Washington-based Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world