- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
Antidepressants tied to higher stroke risk
Question of the Day
“It turned out that newer ones, the SSRIs, were not protective, and that was a surprise,” she said.
She said she hopes that publication of the study will influence drug companies to develop better antidepressants and get women to pay more attention to their cardiovascular risk factors.
“Hypertension is a risk factor for stroke and death and it is very badly controlled in the U.S. Although it has improved somewhat in the last decade, it still is far short of what it should be and it rises with age,” she said.
Another issue that might be a contributing factor to this, she said, was the fact that “an old woman may not be treated as aggressively as middle-aged men. Plus, older people tend not to adhere to medications, and then some people can’t afford them.”
The survey, she said, was observational and not a strictly clinical study with control groups and close monitoring.
“We don’t have clinical corroboration of depression. There was no psychiatric interview to see if a woman was depressed. We did screening as epidemiologists that has a lot of false positives and negatives,” she said.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- Tony Dungy doubles down on Michael Sam remarks: 'Drafting him would bring much distraction'
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Rick Perry: County jails in Texas have taken in 203,000 "criminal aliens"
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq