- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
- ‘127 Hours’ author Aron Lee Ralston, who amputated arm in canyon, arrested in Denver
Sherman Frederick, publisher of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, says Nevada is waiting for its Christmas present from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat.
“I’m very disappointed,” Mr. Frederick said Friday in a column.
“It’s Christmas morning and I can’t find one single gift to Nevada from Sen. Harry Reid under the health care ‘reform’ tree. Louisiana got a nice package. Florida and Connecticut, too. And Nebraska scored a really big present. Just three days ago Uncle Harry said that if a senator didn’t get his state ‘something’ in the health care ‘reform’ package, then that senator wasn’t doing his or her job.
“And yesterday Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., upped the ante. He said that every state did ‘get something’ in the measure.
“OK. I’m excited. What’s Nevada’s gift? Uncle Harry, as everyone knows, is the Big Kahuna of the Senate. He ‘brings home the bacon,’ his TV commercials claim. So if Nebraska got dispensation from Medicaid increases forever, one can only imagine the magnitude of Nevada’s present.
“Flat screen TVs for every man, woman and child? No, no - that’s way too small. A new military base … for every county? A lump of coal and a power plant to fire it? Maybe double our water allotment from the Colorado River? Oh, I know: Lifetime exemptions for Nevada residents and all of their descendents from federal income tax? That would be nice.
“Whatever it is, I can’t wait for the UPS truck tomorrow. The suspense is unbearable.”
A FAVOR TO IRAN
“John Kerry lost the secretary of state sweepstakes to Hillary Clinton, but that hasn’t lowered his diplomatic ambitions. The Journal reported Thursday that the Senate Foreign Relations chairman is mulling a trip to Iran, and with the blessing of the Obama administration,” the Wall Street Journal said in an editorial.
“If the mullahs had any sense, they’d send him a government plane. Beset by almost daily demonstrations by a democratic opposition that has been growing despite beatings and arrests since the stolen June election, Mr. Kerry would arrive from Washington to show the Iranian people that at least someone still favors the regime. He would be the most senior American to visit Tehran in 30 years and his trip would convey legitimacy that the dictatorship is especially eager to have at the current moment,” the newspaper said.
“The Kerry mission would also look like a panicky effort to persuade the Ayatollah Ali Khamanei to accept the increasingly plaintive U.S. offers of engagement. Mr. Obama has set the end of this month as his latest deadline for progress on nuclear talks before he says he’ll seek tougher sanctions against Iran at the U.N.
“But if a year of personal presidential letters and administration entreaties hasn’t worked, why would a Senatorial trip? The regime would probably exploit the visit for its own domestic purposes, perhaps adding to its P.R. coup by releasing to Mr. Kerry the three hapless American hikers it has promised to put on trial for having ‘suspicious aims’ as they wandered across the border with Iraq.
“The Iranians who need support now are the democrats in prison, in the streets, and increasingly in the mosques as the regime loses its legitimacy even among many clerics. Please do them no more harm, senator.”
About the Author
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
Let’s talk about everything, especially the absurdity of it all
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Never apologetic. Never afraid. Lieutenant Colonel Allen B. West joins Communities to bring tales from the biggest Foxhole of them all, the one inside the Beltway.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow