- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Obama hits ‘systemic failure’ over terror tip
The South Carolina Republican also denied delaying confirmation, saying his hold only insists on an open debate and a recorded vote on the Southers nomination. He said Mr. Reid could have had a set of hearings and a possible confirmation at any time.
He also defended his hold as an attempt to prevent possible unionization of TSA. He said the nation’s unions, which heavily backed the Obama campaign, will try to extract the move from the White House as political payback. Mr. DeMint did not explain why such White-House-supported payback would be affected by who heads the agency, and he did not respond to the Fox host’s question of whether Mr. Southers, a former FBI special agent, is unqualified for the post.
“Airport security needs maximum flexibility. And it makes no sense to” require TSA to submit to “union interference,” he said on Fox. “We don’t need airport security to be under the same constraints as the automakers.”
Denis McDonough, chief of staff of the White House National Security Council, downplayed the fight to reporters Monday in Hawaii, saying that although Mr. Obama “is eager to have his TSA head on the job,” acting TSA chief Gale Rossides is “very able” and “we have a very able team of career professionals at TSA.”
About the Author
- '12 Years a Slave,' 'Gravity' take top honors at Oscars
- Cruz, Lee among top scorers in ACU conservative survey
- CNN to cancel Piers Morgan show amid ratings collapse
- Lineman likely to become NFL's first openly gay player
- Christian film stripped of 'Best Song' Oscar nomination
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.