- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Wizards close out 2009 with another loss
The Washington Wizards are no doubt glad to say goodbye to 2009.
They had hoped to close on a positive note by beating the visiting Oklahoma City Thunder on Tuesday night in their final game of the calendar year. Instead, Washington fell prey to another of its all-too-familiar collapses: For the second straight night, the Wizards blew a fourth-quarter lead and ultimately lost — this time 110-98 at Verizon Center.
It marked a victorious homecoming for D.C. native Kevin Durant, who led the Thunder with 35 points, 11 rebounds and four assists, and Georgetown product Jeff Green, who added 18 points and four rebounds.
Meanwhile, Washington — despite 28 points from Antawn Jamison, 24 from Gilbert Arenas and double-digit scoring from their other three starters — again failed to find a way to play a complete game. They fell to 10-20.
For the calendar year of 2009 (starting with their first game in January and extending into this season), Washington posted a 23-79 record and thus will try in 2010 to turn their fortunes around.
About the Author
- Wizards respond on practice court
- Saunders flips out about Wizards' defense
- Saunders fumes as Wizards regress
- Wizards close out 2009 with another loss
- Late breakdown costs Wizards in Memphis
Latest Blog Entries
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Obama pleads for peace in strife-torn Central African Republic
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow