- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
First Down: William & Mary mascot candidates
NEWSMAKERS WHO’S MAKING HEADLINES THIS WEEK
His impenetrable wall has been shattered, with more questions — and names of women — piling up by the day.
One of the brightest stars in Detroit — an otherwise dreary city — is close to being shipped to the Yankees, the World Series champs.
The hottest college football assistant in the country is in line to leave the Gators to take over Louisville’s program.
With the spotlight brighter than it had shone since September, the former Falcons QB had two touchdowns for the Eagles in Atlanta on Sunday.
The best pitcher on baseball’s free agent market will become a rich man soon.
TWT FIVE WILLIAM & MARY MASCOT CANDIDATES
William & Mary unveiled five finalists for its new mascot with a Jan. 7 deadline for feedback. Here’s how we rank them:
1. King and Queen — Two are better than one, and the idea is more rooted in the school’s history than the other choices.
2. Wren — One of many bird submissions, this comes with a nod to history — the Wren building is the oldest college building in the country.
3. Griffin — A mythical figure with body of lion and the head of eagle.
4. Phoenix — Considered a symbol of the school’s resilience. If that were the case, it wouldn’t need a new mascot.
5. Pug — Another flat-faced dog mascot? Bad idea. Besides, pugs are so nonthreatening.
HE SAID WHAT?
“Safely land golf cart in the Hudson River.”
— David Letterman’s fourth way (of 10) for Tiger Woods to improve his image
About the Author
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Forgotten Ally'
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Small Wars, Faraway Places'
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Men Who Lost America'
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Guns at Last Light'
- BOOK REVIEW: 'E.B. White on Dogs'
Latest Blog Entries
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Malaysia Airlines says plane on route to Beijing missing
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again