- IPad metal — nickel — faulted for causing allergic rashes
- Rand Paul to Rick Perry on Iraq: Get some new glasses
- ‘Fact-Checker’ blog takes on Dems for their comments on Hobby Lobby decision
- Babe Ruth’s 1918 contract sells for $1.02M at auction
- Citigroup settles subprime mortgage case for $7B
- Archie to be shot saving gay friend in comic book
- Sen. John McCain on illegal child immigrants: Fly them home, now
- Pope Francis puts number of priestly pedophiles at 2 percent: report
- Oregonians flee in face of fast-moving wildfire as homes go up in blaze
- Eric Holder: ‘Racial animus’ fuels opposition to Obama and me
DALY: Prospect makes fools out of the Nationals
Question of the Day
The more I hear about this phony Nationals prospect, the more I’m beginning to wonder if he even speaks Spanish.
Here’s the Nats’ biggest problem: When 19-year-old Esmailyn Gonzalez turns out to be 23-year-old Carlos Alvarez, there’s no way you can blame it on a typographical error.
Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that Gonzalez/Alvarez is the illegitimate son of Sidd Finch - that pitcher with the 168 mph fastball that George Plimpton dreamed up years ago.
I have just one question for club president Stan Kasten: The kid’s birthday wouldn’t be April Fools’ Day, would it?
Maybe they could trade him even-up for Joe Hardy.
“Make no mistake,” Kasten said, “this wasn’t a college kid with a fake ID that came in and did this.”
You’ve got that right, Stan. I mean, a college kid with a fake ID would probably still be buying rounds at the team watering hole.
About the only way this story could be better is if Gonzalez/Alvarez had invested his $1.4 million bonus with Bernie Madoff.
About the Author
Dan Daly has been writing about sports for the Washington Times since 1982. He has won numerous national and local awards, appears regularly in NFL Films’ historical features and is the co-author of “The Pro Football Chronicle,” a decade-by-decade history of the game. Follow Dan on Twitter at @dandalyonsports –- or e-mail him at email@example.com.
- DALY: Rookies RG3, Alfred Morris hold their own against two Browns greats
- DALY: Players soon may equate Redskins with winning
- DALY: Just the tip of the iceberg for these Redskins
- DALY: Quarterbacks waste no time making impact
- DALY: Striking a balance integral to Redskins’ success
Latest Blog Entries
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Eric Holder: 'Racial animus' fuels opposition to Obama and me
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi formerly a U.S. captive
- EDITORIAL: The faux farmer in the Senate race in Iowa
- Defense Dept.: Contracting personnel may be wasting billions due to FAR regulation confusion
- Obama's 'blank check' rejected as border solution
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs