- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
McCain rallies supporters to oppose Obama spending
Sen. John McCain on Tuesday went head-to-head with President Obama by mobilizing his network of campaign supporters against the president’s economic recovery package, saying Republicans have not been given enough input.
While praising President Obama for his outreach, Mr. McCain said Democrats are “trying to jam” their bill through after having loaded it up with wasteful spending and without listening to Republicans.
Mr. McCain’s opposition e-mail asks people to sign a petition opposing the Senate stimulus bill. It comes a day after Mr. Obama mobilized his own campaign supporters with an e-mail in support of the bill, calling on them to attend house parties this weekend to show their support.
“I cannot and do not support the package on the table from the Democrats and the Obama Administration. Our country does not need just another spending bill, particularly not one that will load future generations with the burden of massive debt,” Mr. McCain said.
His strenuous opposition is a blow to Mr. Obama, who in the days before his inauguration met with Mr. McCain and even feted him at a pre-inauguration dinner praising the virtues of bipartisanship.
Mr. McCain signed the e-mail as chairman of his political action committee, Country First PAC.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at email@example.com.
- House defeats Democrats' attempt to rebuke Issa
- Obama declares himself 'champion in chief' for immigration
- Senate blocks Obama's civil rights nominee
- House GOP considers contempt of Congress charge for Lerner
- DEA: Drug cartels look to capitalize on legal marijuana laws
Latest Blog Entries
By Tammy Bruce
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- AP Exclusive: Man said to create bitcoin denies it
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- First pot business license issued in Washington
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again