- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
- Secret Service begins regular K-9 patrols around White House
- Pentagon’s human memory-chip program moves forward
- Obama blasts GOP, ignores immigration crisis in Texas speech
- Marine Warfighting Lab tests the Godzilla of amphibious assault vehicles
- Harry Reid: Birth-control ruling the worst Supreme Court decision in 25 years
- Vet suicides ‘horrible human cost’ of VA dysfunction: lawmaker
- First marijuana customer in Spokane says he was fired
- Hagel: ‘Make no mistake,’ ISIL is an ‘imminent’ threat to U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to ‘fight for national sovereignty’
Croatia’s leader resigns
Question of the Day
Mr. Sanader presented himself as a conservative patriot and economic modernizer. Instead, these were ideological veneers for an insular, authoritarian kleptocracy. Even his single accomplishment, Croatia’s entry into NATO, was ham-handed: The majority of the electorate opposed it.
Some states have a mafia; the Croatian mafia has a state. Under Mr. Sanader, the regime consolidated its links with the murky Balkan underworld of organized crime, nefarious entrepreneurs, shadowy intelligence services and the former communist nomenklatura. The result is a criminal state capitalism that privileges the ruling elite while exploiting and degrading most Croatians.
Mr. Sanader’s resignation should trigger not only early parliamentary elections, but an independent prosecution of his criminal activities. In America, Bernard Madoff was sentenced recently to 150 years in prison for defrauding investors. Mr. Sanader has defrauded Croatia’s taxpayers. He - and all of his accomplices - also should be sent to jail. That would be a fitting end to his disastrous tenure.
• Jeffrey T. Kuhner is a columnist at The Washington Times and president of the Edmund Burke Institute, a Washington think tank.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Ken Allard
Only the National Guard can re-establish homeland security
Get Breaking Alerts
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- HUSAIN: The fake caliph of 'The Islamic State'
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- HUSAR: Mexicos Pena Nieto passes the immigration bucket
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi denied freedom by Mexican judge
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama has no intention of repatriating illegals
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: America: Land of the free no more?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wage-theft by employers needs legislative remedy
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Douglass would abhor affirmative action
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's voter bloc of 'entitlement' illegals