- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
- Oh my God! Costco lists Bible as fiction, Ron Burgundy memoir as gospel
TODAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Co. will battle rain in the forecast at the U.S. Open. ESPN, 10 a.m.
THE BEST OF THE WEEKEND IN SPORTS
NASCAR road race
The circuit makes one of its two stops at a road course Sunday with the Toyota/SaveMart 350 in Sonoma, Calif. Witness a NASCAR rarity: right turns.
Nationals vs. Blue Jays
Back home, the Nationals face a journeyman and two rookies, including former Maryland pitcher Brett Cecil on Saturday.
Mystics vs. Sky
Off to their best start in franchise history, the Mystics return to Verizon Center - sans first-round pick Marissa Coleman - to face the similarly hot Chicago Sky on Saturday.
If Bethpage ever dries out, we could be in for some great golf this weekend. There’s an unknown atop the leader board, and Tiger Woods, the defending champion and forever the favorite, is lurking at 1 over. But the tournament could drag on until Tuesday if the rain continues - which it’s supposed to do.
TWT FIVE ” Moments involving sports and rain
1. Three rain delays force the 2008 Wimbledon final between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal to stretch to the cusp of dusk, only adding to the drama of a match widely called one of the best in history.
2. Game 5 of the 2008 World Series between the Phillies and Rays is suspended because of rain with the score tied at 2-2 in the sixth inning. More rain forces the game to be resumed two days later, when the Phillies clinch the title.
3. In 2007, Dario Franchitti wins the abbreviated Indianapolis 500. Fans are treated to the sight of his wife, actress Ashley Judd, in a rain-soaked sundress.
About the Author
- First Down: Best weekend bets
- SportsBiz: What the next decade holds
- Shifting sands for NCAA
- Monumental sports year will connect fans on a global scale
- SportsBiz: Selling a new career
Latest Blog Entries
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Small Wars, Faraway Places'
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Men Who Lost America'
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Guns at Last Light'
- BOOK REVIEW: 'E.B. White on Dogs'
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Forged'
Latest Blog Entries
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- Russian diplomats busted bilking $1.5 million from Medicaid
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- Obama lived with Uncle Onyango Obama in the 1980s, White House admits
- Nelson Mandela, South Africa's first black president, dies at age 95
- American teacher shot and killed at Benghazi international school
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Interviews and show reviews from the Los Angeles punk scene past and present. Los Angeles has always been rich in punk rock talent since punk rock was born.
NFL junkie Eric Golub reports on his favorite obsession. There is no football offseason. Every February he pretends to care about other sports while sobbing uncontrollably each Sunday until September.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
White House pets gone wild!