- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Dutch receiving Malaysia plane bodies irked at Putin’s daughter in Holland
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
Gulf War pilot’s status returns to MIA
Question of the Day
In the first hours of the Gulf War, he flew his F-18 into the night skies from the deck of the USS Saratoga, never to return, and never to be found. His aircraft was struck by an Iraqi surface-to-air missile.
Over the years, Capt. Speicher’s status was listed as killed in action, body not recovered; missing in action and missing/captured. Now it has changed for a fourth time.
On Tuesday, Navy Secretary Donald Winter reverted Capt. Speicher’s status to missing in action — countering a recent recommendation by a status review board that the pilot could still be held by enemy forces. But Mr. Winter did not close the case, either.
“My review of the board proceedings and the compelling evidence presented by the intelligence community causes me great concern about the reliability of the boards recommendation,” Mr. Winter said.
He questioned the review board’s conclusions about Capt. Speicher’s possible ejection from his aircraft and the lack of physical evidence or emergency radio transmissions which could indicate he survived that night.
“There is currently no credible evidence that Capt. Speicher is ‘captured.’ For Capt. Speicher to be in captivity today one would have to accept a massive conspiracy of silence and perfectly executed deception that has lasted for over 18 years and that continues today,” Mr. Winter said.
He has ordered another review of the situation within the next year. Meanwhile, the U.S. is not abandoning the pilot as a matter of policy.
“Absolutely, we will continue to search for him. We have 88,000 missing service members from all conflicts. It is a top priority to bring them home. Capt. Speicher is an American hero and returning him to his family and country will also remain a top priority for the Navy and the nation,” said Lt. Sean Robertson, a Navy spokesman.
“This is neither good news nor bad news,” said Cindy Laquidara, spokeswoman for the Speicher family, who said she was somewhat “puzzled” over the decision.
“We’re still optimistic. We want Capt. Speicher back — or his remains. And we look forward to working with the Navy to resolve this in the foreseeable future. There was evidence Capt. Speicher was in captivity, and there are still those who may know what happen. Every time we’ve had active duty personnel go searching for him, they have brought us good and valuable information,” Ms. Laquidara said.
“They are very good at what they do,” she added.
A native of Jacksonville, Fla. and the son of a World War II-era pilot, Capt. Speicher was 33 when he disappeared, leaving behind a wife and two small children.
The dramatic and often poignant details or speculations about his possible fate have surfaced frequently in the form of intelligence reports, official investigation and hearsay. The mix included a report that the initials “MSS” were found in 2004, carved in the wooden beam of a Baghdad prison; other claims included he had been shot down by a Mig fighter, and that his flight suit had been found with his name cut out of the front of it.
In 2008, Capt. Speicher’s children — now adults— urged the Navy to continue the search, suggesting the efforts could help set a standard for future investigations of missing troops and airmen.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: Frugal-phobic Congress offers 828 spending bills
- It's grim: 911 Commission warns terrorism has entered 'a new and dangerous phase'
- Inside the Beltway: The evolving White House deflection strategy
- Rick Perry: County jails in Texas have taken in 203,000 'criminal aliens'
- Inside the Beltway: White House fundraising — never a dull moment
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: 'Emergency plan' launched
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- CROWLEY: The good-time president
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq