- The Washington Times - Saturday, May 2, 2009

AMSTERDAM | The man who drove his car into a crowd of parade spectators and killed six people died of his injuries Friday, leaving behind a mystery of why he tried to attack the Dutch royal family.

The 38-year-old suspect, identified by Dutch media as Karst Tates, had been in critical condition since the attack Thursday on Queen’s Day, the Dutch national holiday.

Hours after his death during the night, the Defense Ministry announced that a 55-year-old driver for the military police, Roel Nijenhuis, also died of his injuries. Five bystanders died Thursday.

Mr. Nijenhuis was on duty during Thursday’s parade, said a statement from the service commander, Lt. Gen. Dick van Putten. He had driven a military police band to the parade and was watching the festivities when he was hit.

Ten other people were hurt when the man rammed his small black car through police barricades toward an open-topped bus carrying Queen Beatrix and several other members of the royal family.

He told one of the first police officers to rush to his car that the attack was aimed at the royal family, prosecutor Ludo Goossens said Thursday. But the motive was not clear.

“It is very difficult now that we no longer have the suspect to reconstruct what was behind this,” said Fred de Graaf, the mayor of Apeldoorn where the incident occurred.

Dutch media, citing neighbors, said Tates recently was fired from his job as a security guard and was to be evicted from his home in the small eastern town of Huissen because he could no longer afford the rent. Police said he had no history of mental illness or police record.

The neighbors described him as friendly, but a man who kept to himself, the NRC Handelsblad reported.

Prosecutors said the suspect’s death ended the criminal investigation against him, but that they would continue to investigate whether he acted alone.

Police who searched the man’s house Thursday “found no weapons, explosives or indications of other suspects,” prosecutors said.

People left bouquets of flowers at the scene of the attack, lit candles in Apeldoorn’s church and signed a condolence register at Apeldoorn City Hall for the victims.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide