- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Top 5: Why Playboy empire isn’t worth owning
Reports surfaced this week that Hugh Hefner, longtime publisher of Playboy magazine, is considering relinquishing the reins of his bawdy empire. "Hef," as the 83-year-old mogul is known, reportedly also is eyeing British billionaire Richard Branson as a potential new owner.
1. The decline of print — It's the equivalent of the Late Cretaceous Period for magazines and newspapers. To buy Playboy today, even with its provocative photos (more on that below), is to invest in an animal that's already been struck by an asteroid and is choking on atmospheric poison.
2. All the world's a centerfold — Relatedly, there's no lack of unclothed bodies on which to feast one's eyes these days. Amid soft-core roadside billboards and shockingly hard-core online imagery, the old conceit ("I read it for the articles") seems quaintly unnecessary.
3. Branding — How could Playboy, and all that the name implies, ever coexist with Mr. Branson's Virgin brand?
4. No "Girls Next Door" — Mr. Branson has been married to the same woman for 20 years. That means no so-bad-it's-good reality show chronicling his charmed life romancing three women young enough to be his granddaughters.
5. Pajamas — The swashbuckling Mr. Branson would look silly wearing them all day.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.