- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
Top 5: Why Playboy empire isn’t worth owning
Reports surfaced this week that Hugh Hefner, longtime publisher of Playboy magazine, is considering relinquishing the reins of his bawdy empire. "Hef," as the 83-year-old mogul is known, reportedly also is eyeing British billionaire Richard Branson as a potential new owner.
1. The decline of print — It's the equivalent of the Late Cretaceous Period for magazines and newspapers. To buy Playboy today, even with its provocative photos (more on that below), is to invest in an animal that's already been struck by an asteroid and is choking on atmospheric poison.
2. All the world's a centerfold — Relatedly, there's no lack of unclothed bodies on which to feast one's eyes these days. Amid soft-core roadside billboards and shockingly hard-core online imagery, the old conceit ("I read it for the articles") seems quaintly unnecessary.
3. Branding — How could Playboy, and all that the name implies, ever coexist with Mr. Branson's Virgin brand?
4. No "Girls Next Door" — Mr. Branson has been married to the same woman for 20 years. That means no so-bad-it's-good reality show chronicling his charmed life romancing three women young enough to be his granddaughters.
5. Pajamas — The swashbuckling Mr. Branson would look silly wearing them all day.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014